DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Law on Neon in Ohio.... I'm surprised

9K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Loner 
#1 ·
I'm surprised. I was quite sure it was illegal. If anyone else in Ohio was wondering -

http://www.state.oh.us/ohiostatepatrol/FAQ.html#eq1
What colors and types (under body, in-car, etc.) of neon lights are legal?

Lights must not rotate, oscillate, or flash, but state law does not prohibit the use of colored neon lights under your car as long as they do not interfere or blind other drivers.

Ohio Revised Code, section 4513.17 prohibits flashing lights on motor vehicles with the exception of emergency vehicles, turn signals, and hazard flashers.

As long as the neon lights are less than 300 candle power they are not in violation of any State law. If the lights are more than 300 candle power they must be directed to strike the pavement the vehicle sets upon at a distance of no more than 75 feet. The lights can not exceed 500 candle power. Colored lights, such as neon lights around a license plate, could be illegal if the light illuminates the plate and changes the colors of the plate. State law requires a white light to illuminate the rear license plate.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the tip ChicagoTRS - I never thought of that.

I wouldn't be surprised if cops don't totally understand the law on lighting.

#6 ·
I agree with ChicagoTRS completely...

when I had my 1979 Cutlass, the front windows were tinted really dark, 25% I think it was..
my dad informed me that the state law on vehicle window tint wasn't enacted until 1981, so my car was exempt...as long as the tints were applied before the law was enacted..
he printed out a copy of the vehicle code and I kept it in the car for when I got pulled over (which was alot)
Some cops didn't care what the paper said and wrote me tickets anyway, which got thrown out in court. You see, it was up to the state to prove the tints were put on the car before 1981, which is impossible, so they threw the case out every time. (except once, because the judge was an asshole)
i got away with it for a while, then I read about how in 2006 the old law concerning tints is going to go away I suppose, but it doesn't matter now, since I don't have the car anymore :cool:

so keep a copy of the law in your car, and be respectful when talking to the cops...a few of the ones I showed the paper to were like "you tryin to get smart with me punk?!"

too bad that law can't apply to my 'trep :baaa:

#9 ·
Well...... Doesn't get much more official than the Ohio State Highway Patrol's web page! :)

#13 ·
jtatz said:
I found Iowa's Motor vehicle site......... but couldn't find any mention of neon or much in the way of auto laws either - http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/index.htm
Iowa prefers to inform residents of laws by way of tickets. Then when you prove them wrong in court they continue to insist on finding you guilty and make you pay... :mad:

#15 ·
OK GUYS, i jus got my neon kit hooked up i dont have a intrepid (almost baught 1 but was short on cash) but i do live in ohio and stumbled apon this post and thanks,i was wondin about that but now that the record is str8 on that, is it illegal or legal for interior neons? or whats the law on that?

Thanks,
Adam

#17 ·
Avenger said:
Just make sure the interior neons are not visible on the outside of the car!
well crap so thatmeans i can only use the 2 under the passenger and the driver side columns...and not the one by my dome light GRRRRRRRRRR owell cant ask for to much at leaste there not illegal in ohio i guess cause that woulda ben a waste of 180 dollars.. :behead: thanks for the info tho def appriciate it! :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Feel Good said:
OK GUYS, i jus got my neon kit hooked up i dont have a intrepid (almost baught 1 but was short on cash) but i do live in ohio and stumbled apon this post and thanks,i was wondin about that but now that the record is str8 on that, is it illegal or legal for interior neons? or whats the law on that?

Thanks,
Adam
should have bought a intrepid even if you had to deliver newspapers for a while :bash:

#22 ·
well i live in iowa, and i drive around everywhere in iowa with blue lights flashing in side. (i got 3 neons on my back seat to light up the top of my car and 2 neons under the dash), i somtimes drive around with my underglow on, (when i do drive with underglow on its straight color)

IOWA LAW - (once a cop told me) you can have neons inside your car as long as you dont see the bulb. and you can't have any color or any lights under your car. for the back license plate it has to be white or red light to light it up.

#25 ·
yeah, but see right there, hes never been pulled over, now how many cops have seen him, and i'm sure the cops in your town DONT CARE if he has them, doesnt mean they cant bust him one night.

#26 ·
This is probably old news by now, but anyways... In my Law Enforcement career neons haven't been a big problem in my book. It basicly depends on where you live, if you are in an area with a certain problem then the LEO's may enforce it a little more. Outside of Canton, Ohio we really don't have a huge problem with this, now don't get me wrong we do have folk's with neons and different lighting, even blue.

But personally the only time I've ever stopped someone in this situation is a gentleman didn't realize he had his high beams on one night as he went by me in the opposite direction. I really didn't mind but that kinda sucks, ya know? But anyways, I turned around and turned on every single light I had on that car and pointed it toward him(of course I didn't realize of his age and night vision at first). I just asked him if those lights were kinda bright and he answered "yes". So I reminded him that his high beams were on and he apologized and that was that.

But the only case I've heard was a guy in Perry Twp was pulled over for having a red light in his dash or windsheild, can't remember what it was but the officer cited. But I see these cars all the time and haven't really heard of any trouble about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.