DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...I was under the 00' r/t today and did an oil change. I had been noticing some dripping on my garage floor lately and thought it was from the filter....wrong! I have oil dripping from the oil cooler lines, or so I believe thats what they are....how hard is it to replace them? The oil was down around 1/2 a quart when I checked it before changing it...there was quite a bit of oil on the frame behind the lines from blowing back on it while dripping/driving....the car has 73,500 miles on it...what other types of problems are typical around this mileage? I am loving the car and hope nothing too major is around the mileage corner! Anyone out there help a brother out?
thankx!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Do you mean the coolant lines that go into the bottom of the rad? (i.e. the transmission coolant lines). Is the fluid leaking out red?

I had this problem, all it needed was a quick tightening of the fittings where they connect into the rad. Check that out first.

·
Registered
328 Posts
2000 R/T do have an engine oil cooler too. (I think only year and model that had it) Wipe them off and drive the car. See where it's leaking and replace. Sometimes it looks like they are leaking but its just runnoff from the oil change as it gets on the lines, frame, pan etc.

Reactions: ARedTrepRT

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try wiping them off...I just don't know what is all included in replacing the lines. I cleaned them off before i put in the new oil and didn't spill anything when doing the change...I was wondering if I just drained the system of oil, took off the lines and put on new ones is that all that has to happen to replace them. I never had a car with oil cooler before except the mustang I own and its aftermarket....

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Are you positive that it is oil and not tranny or power steering fluid? We have coolers for those too. I've had problems in the past with my ps cooler leaking. Depending on how long it has been since your oil change, a 1/2qt isn't much at all. I think mine uses that between oil changes anyway. Where exactly are the lines that are leaking located?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I had dripping in that area of my car, thought it was motor oil or coolant from the radiator's upper coolant hose, dried everything off ran the engine and found it was the transmission oil cooler pressure line the upper one on the right side of the radiator.

On the m's that has been an issue leaking from the rubber-metal crimp especially on the pressure line. $30 later, $20 for a new line, $10 for 2 quarts of ATF +4 I replaced the line and didn't even use a fourth of one quart.

First thing is to find the leak, could be power steering lines, transmission cooler lines, oil coolers lines.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok...definitely gives me something to look out for...I will check it out again tomorrow...see what I see! thankx..

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it is definitely oil....i can't seem to see it leaking anyplace besides at the fittings/hoses coming out of the oil cooler by the sub-frame under the car...I got some degreaser, cleaned everything up as well as I could and drove it about 5 minutes then back home and it had a few tiny drips on the lines near the fittings....

·
Registered
383 Posts
All of the connections on my 99 ES are nice metal crimp on connections except where the oil actually goes into and out of the radiator. If this is the case yours may be leaking right at the radiator. The hose directly to metal thing wears out at some point in time and you might be able to cut half an inch or so off your existing hose and just push some fresh hose on it.

Always has a replacement hose somewhere within 24 hours reach incase you cut it too short though. Or you won't be going anywhere. Well you could just get a double ended hose barb and directly connect the feed and return line if you goof up too bad so you can drive for a day or two.

Reactions: ARedTrepRT

·
Registered
357 Posts
My 02 also leaked oil. I thought it was trans fluid leaking at the clamped connections but it ended up being what windowpane said, leaking at the crimped connections. The repair is sort of a pain because you have to take the lower radiator support off to get to all the connections at the bottom of the radiator. You also need a metric tubing wrench for the transmission end of the hose. If you do this repair, you might as well change both hoses since everything is apart. The hoses are cheap enough so do both. About a year later and still no leaks.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You also need a metric tubing wrench for the transmission end of the hose.
Yeah I forgot to mention that, couldn't get it off with anything else, I only did one line so didn't have to remove the support. Did have to remove half my front fascia and headlight to remove the radiator connection.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think i can get the tubing wrench from work and I maybe have access to a lift...I am going to price parts, difficulty degree and then price a shop...lol....I don't always have a ton of time...so, I will let u all know...thankx to everyone...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Anyone have Part #'s for the Oil Cooler Send And Return Lines,and Quik Disconnect Fittings, for a 2000 Dodge Intrepid ES w/3.2L, and Autostick? I know that certain cars came with the Oil Cooler option for 1998-2000.

Part#'s ?, and $$$'s?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts