DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is my problem i know im leaking power steering fluid,but i cant seem to find where its leaking from. By the way i have a 01 se with the 2.7.Looks like the front of the radiator near the cooler,but i thought that was an oil cooler. Is ther ps lines in the front of the radiator? Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
your leak is more than likely trans fluid. most 2g treps have auxilary trans coolers in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
jedgxe said:
your leak is more than likely trans fluid. most treps have auxilary trans coolers in front of the radiator.
There's power steering return lines right there too !! you have to wipe everything good and then observe for new wet spots to narrow down the area where the leaks are occouring. Might be a loose clamp or a cracked rubber hose...

·
Registered
376 Posts
If it is a PS leak, you might have difficulty pinpointing it with the engine idling and no load on the pump. As Termninator suggests, clean up the area the best you can. Now put on a set of safety glasses and have someone raise the revs to about 2K and turn the wheel back and forth.

Under load, you should be able to more easily see the source of the leak. Look closely at all the junction points as well as all the metal lines. Don't be surprised if it squirts out a few feet. Be careful, you don't want PS fluid in your eye.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
There's power steering return lines right there too !! you have to wipe everything good and then observe for new wet spots to narrow down the area where the leaks are occouring. Might be a loose clamp or a cracked rubber hose...
Now ya made me read my FSM. Seems like Dodge wants to keep everything cool. Power steering like you said front of radiator, Trans in rad and aux in front, some treps also have engine oil cooler in radiator (pass side). When it stops raining around here I get to see what goodies my trep has.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
jedgxe said:
Now ya made me read my FSM. Seems like Dodge wants to keep everything cool. Power steering like you said front of radiator, Trans in rad and aux in front, some treps also have engine oil cooler in radiator (pass side). When it stops raining around here I get to see what goodies my trep has.
Well you learn something new everyday, glad to be the pusher in this case..... :bgtup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found the leak.....Looks like the nut on the tranny cooler is rubbin the steel power steering line notched a lil whole in it. grrrrrrrrrrrrr imma prolly throw a rubber heater hose over it and clamp it till i find a replacement prolly a factory order part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts