DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the special seats have been taking a beating as of late so I decided it was time to give them a break over winter. The extreme cold plus my butt sitting on then isn't very good. I was offered a set of light taupe seats from a regular M that I couldn't pass up. They were a bit rough and dirty, but they were perfect for what I had in mind. The driver’s seat heat was not working and I figured out that the element in the driver’s seat was fried. Because of this, I switched the driver’s side and passenger side cushion around because I can't go without the heat in winter!

I started off by dismantling the front seats so I could switch the bottoms. While they were apart, I took the opportunity to clean them very well and fix a few problem areas. The plan with these seats was not to spend too much money thus why I didn't go out and buy leatherique, I'll save that for the special seats.

First up was a good vacuming. That was followed by using some magic eraser and Windex with a stiff brush. Both are techniques that I observed on other forums.

Before

Old drivers, new passenger

New drivers

So now that they are clean, it was time for a bit of fixing. The seats had cracks in them, especially the driver’s bottom. It's very hard to make these disappear, but they can be masked. I used SEM leather paint that was special made for this purpose. After a few passes on the problem areas this is how it turned out.

After

Old drivers, new passenger

Both bottoms

Once they were painted I put the seats back together and let them sit for a week while I was gone to school. I started pack up again by using some Adams leather cleaner over the seats for a final clean then followed that up with some conditioner. I think in the end they look pretty awesome, hopefully the paint/ dye holds up. Here are the final results, the rears aren't done yet.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Wow they really came out great man it makes me want to go out and get some leather seats for mine but i think the sun down here would tell me i shouldn't have lol.

·
Registered
780 Posts
nice job... what were your paint prep techniques for appliying the SEM? I did my leather seats not to long ago and they didn't hold up very well and I even splurged on doing it right the first time. I used SEM "vinyl/leather cleaner" as a wax remover type prep and then hit them with some SEM "no-sand" leather paint prep and then paid for the good SEM called ColorCoat in a semi-gloss black. At $16 a bottle I'm about $50 into the seat restoration and just weeks later I start to see the black flaking off onto my pants ...not good.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice job... what were your paint prep techniques for appliying the SEM? I did my leather seats not to long ago and they didn't hold up very well and I even splurged on doing it right the first time. I used SEM "vinyl/leather cleaner" as a wax remover type prep and then hit them with some SEM "no-sand" leather paint prep and then paid for the good SEM called ColorCoat in a semi-gloss black. At $16 a bottle I'm about $50 into the seat restoration and just weeks later I start to see the black flaking off onto my pants ...not good.
All I did was cleaning the leather with windex and a stiff brush, Mr.Clean magic ereasors along with some adams leather cleaner. Once the seats were clean, I just did a bunch of light coats. It's holding up not bad, but it's more of the original cracks opening back up. I haven't experianced any pealing.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Nice job, those turned out really nice!

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Where would one find the SEM goods? My Agate (nearly black/charcoal) seats are starting to crack in a few spots, and I've got some scuffs that are getting deeper than the original coloring I want to address...

·
Registered
760 Posts
you just made me go buy a set of blue magic cleaner and conditioner and order agate sem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts