DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I was building my 2002 dream RT on the DC web site, I checked this option for the prestige, durabiltiy, and potential resale plus.

But then, the Intrepid doesn't have heated seats and the leather is not perforated. So I'm thinking... freeze my skinny lil toosh in the winter and the sweat stains on my t-shirt back in the summer.

I know the Florida and CA guys prefer cloth, but I would appreciate some feedback on people who own veal stools in their ride, who live in freezing cold areas. (I'm willing to overlook the sweat a bit)

And what about grippiness of cornering on leather? Any one regret getting leather??

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 2000 R/T (I have had since JUNE 2000) has dealer installed after-market agate leather interior with the R/T logo stitched in the seatbacks. I even live in Florida, not too far from THRASHER. My car is always parked outside, will be getting covered parking soon. I have never noticed the seats being TOO hot yet, but I never wear shorts either. I always keep the sunshade closed when I am parked and I have a custom made sunshade. Plus the windows are tinted. I think all these things really help. Just make sure you get a good conditioner for the leather surfaces. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Well... like I posted earlier... i met up with three fellow NY intrepid owners. None of them had leather and they all said they LOVED the leather i had in my '01 R/T. I haven't dealt with a winter yet, but I had my wheels in some serious NYC heat. Yeah your back will sweat if the car gets hot... however all I have to do is just drive with the A/C on. If I have the A/C running I will not sweat. I love how the R/T leather is... its actually pretty firm, a more "racing" style leather. The 300M leather is a lot "softer". It really makes the drive feel that much more comfortable. And as far as resale value goes... cars with leather will always stand out from cars that dont have it.

I will never buy another car that doesnt have leather. It just feels too nice. :)

Hope that answers your question. :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
When its that cold, it really doesn't matter. You're freezing either way, cloth or leather. One is crouched over forward, self bundled to keep in the body heat so the seat back doesn't factor in to chilling you off further. Any colder, it's time for Mr. CHill. Once the car warms up, the leather is fine. However, I haven't experienced it yet with the R/T.
Heated leather would be nice to overcome the inital shock, otherwise, I have owned leather interiors before and I am still around.
What is important is the effectiveness of the car's heater and how well and fast it warms it up. I will know soon since it will happen soon.

Danny
Capitalcity R?Y
01 Black R/T with leather

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have cloth, but the other cars I've owed had leather, and it wasn't extremely bad hot or cold, I always worried about it getting ripped...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just bought a 98 ES with Agate Leather.

One thing about all Dodge and chrysler seats, leather or cloth.

They are NOT very comfortable!!!

I am working with an upholstery guy in town to improve this.

I just got rid of a 1989 Cougar. The comfort of its seats rivaled fellatio.

Naturally, I want to restore that feeling.

What it needs is some padding and some contouring. I am a runner so I don't carry much padding myself.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yeah, leather is sweet.. ****, just the looks of it, people are impressed with leather over cloth.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
The only people who seem to not like leather are people who have never owned leather, my wife always hated leather until I stopped refusing to buy cloth interior. Nothing beats the feel and smell of leather, plus the easy cleaning is a benefit as well. The Intrepid leather is very high quality and I am sure you will be happy with it.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
ok, after rereading my last post, I realise it doesn'tmake sense, what I was trying to say is that my wife has cloth and refuses to buy leather, I refuse to buy anything but leather, now she likes the leather and wants it on her next car. she likes the way kid spills (juice, ice cream) just wipe off instead of requiring carpet cleaner.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Get the leather. I have to disagree with anyone who says that Chrysler leather is uncomfortable. I havent had a person yet... sit in my '01 R/T and didnt love the leather.

It looks good, it feels good... if you don't get it, you will be kicking yourself down the road when you sit in someone else's leather. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think the majority vote for leather. Thanks for all your personal experiences. I think I will go with the leather.

Anyone old enough to remember Ricardo Montalban pushing a Chrysler New Yorker (or was it LeBaron?) with "Rich Corinthian Leather!" ssssnorrtt...ahhhh... truly good to the last drop. :D

Hey, only 4 more posts and I'll be no longer a junior member. Just a thick one. ;)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
heh, I think it was a New Yorker, or even something before that.

After seeing the 2 tone leather in somoenes motorsport, I WANT IT! it looks badass, I'm gonna call around to see what I can have it put in for...

yeah yeah call me nuts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have leather in my 96 ES and I would have to say I prefer it over cloth 100%, lately I've noticed my ass sliding around taking highs-speed, long turns but it don't bother me none. Form over Function right?! :D but yeah, the hot/cold isn't that big of a deal... just park it in the garage when you can heh

-Dan :p

·
Registered
973 Posts
I wanted to order a 300M. The summer of 2000, we spent 5 weeks back on the mainland in rental cars. Couldn't find a 300M to rent so I went with the Concord LXI as a test of DC cars. Loved the car, was sold on the 300M idea, EXCEPT .... my wife, daughter, and I hated the leather in the hot sun of Texas. On Guam, it is as sunny and hot as Texas, only every single day! Yes we have a garage, but there are times that you gotta park it out in a parking lot and even with tinted windows and a screen in the front window leather would be a sweaty result. Soooo we had to rethink the car. I found that I could order the R/T without leather, so we did just that. We are all happy with our choice. If we lived somewhere else we would have leather, I've owned cars with it and do like it overall, but this time in this place it wasn't the best choice. That's why there is usually a choice for YOUR interior, huh?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chris So said:
Anyone old enough to remember Ricardo Montalban pushing a Chrysler New Yorker (or was it LeBaron?) with "Rich Corinthian Leather!" ssssnorrtt...ahhhh... truly good to the last drop.

Yes I AM that old......and it was the Cordoba !!!!! And there was no such thing as Corinthian Leather........they said many years later that it just sounded good !!!! AHHHH:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car without leather. Love the fact that leather stays looking good forever as long as you care for it a little. Cleans up easier...looks a lot better...doesn't wear as much as cloth seats...go with the leather.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have to agree with all posts...
Leather is much easier to keep looking new/clean, especially with kids.

One other additional comment I've seen...don't know if it's true or not...the agate color shows white, fuzz (?) dust/dirt easy.

Mine is the tan so can't comment to the accuracy but do know that you can't make that statement about it.

HTH.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts