DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My manager just traded in his 1993 Lebaron 3.0L V6 for a 1991 or 92 (I forget) 4 cyl turbo convertible. Much better shape than his old one. I opened the hood and it said "Chrysler Turbo" :D

Question is, is this the same engine used in the Spirit R/T's? I know the Plymouth Acclaim, Chrysler LeBaron and Dodge Spirts all used the same engines. If it is the same engine as a spirit r/t ohh sweet!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I don't know if it is the same motor as in the R/T, but I do know they are quick. I raced my friends '89 Lebaron coupe that had a 4 banger turbo w/5 speed in my '92 LeBaron convertible with the 3.0L V6. He kicked my ass. I knew he would, but I just wanted to see the difference. :D

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sorry Starscream, but it's not the R/T engine. The "Chrysler Turbo" you saw would have been most likely the 2.5 Turbo that Chrysler used for years. The 2.5 Turbo was used in the Sprit ES, Daytona, and even the Caravan for a few years, as Chrysler was having a hard time keeping up with production demand on the 3.0 V6 when it came out.

The R/T Turbo engine is unmistakable, as it is the "redhead"

The Turbo you saw was a great engine however. I had one in an 88 Lebaron GTS. It was good for about 150hp, about the same as the V6. Performance wasn't stellar, but good for the period. Cheap to run, and since it was based on the 2.2 K-Car engine, it was good for thousands of miles.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The 2.5 is a nice turbo. If I can find one in good shape I plan on buying a Turbo Caravan as a second car for the family and hauling ****.

I also plan to tinker with it to get it running at least high 13s which is not hard at all with those things.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow LHSer, 1000 posts. Congrats!:D

and a turbo in a mini-van? How pimped!! :D I wish they would make an R/T for the Carvan like they did with the Durango. Kinda pointless because I'd be scared shitless to drive over 95 in a Durango anyways unless it was a straight shot for miles.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
This is what a TIII (found in the Spirit R/T) looks like.

The 1990 Lebarons had the rare VNT turbo unit that produced 174 horsepower (not probably likely he has this one, GTC options package) or a 2.5L TI with 150 HP. The 1989 turbo Barons had either a 2.5L TI or a 2.2L TII turbo that put out 150 and 174 HP respectively. The 1991-1992 had the 2.5L turbo.

For more info on turbo Dodges go to
Turbo Dodge

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts