DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got another lightbar from a JY, but i cant seem to find the right LED's to put in it...I want something REALLY bright, and I have looked all over, and I was looking at these:http://cgi.ebay.com/30p-10mm-MEGABRIGHT-WHITE-LED-LAMP-130K-mcd-30-Resistor_W0QQitemZ120074525910QQihZ002QQcategoryZ66952QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120074525910

im assuming that it is BS, isnt 130000MCD very bright? I mean, when I went to look at radio shack, a guy there told me that the brightest they have are 800MCD...so im not too sure what to get.
any help would be great.

EDIT:
after reading more carefuly, it seems like they are in HonG Kong, and since I dont have a paypal account, i cant get those, but if someone could turn me in the right direction, it would be awesome!
thanks,
Andrei

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I got some LEDs of ebay a week ago to put in the ac vents, and they were pretty bright. I checked out the link and I think they are bright. when buying LEDs always look at the viewing angle, cause I think thats what determine it brightness level. the ones u was looking at is rated 5to12 degrees viewing angle. thats real bright looking straigth on. I would recommend you buy the pre-wired one too(makes the job much easier).

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
From another thread.....
In2Deep said:
Here are the ones that I have purchased (twice!) along with the resistors I use. Oh...and I buy them online from Mouser.
LED's: 604-L7113SRC/DW
Resistors: 660-CF1/2L681J
I have a total of 66 LED's in the current version. Total cost for LED's and Resistors: ~$25 shipped.
It took me a few hours to solder them all up and place them, and I'm more than happy with the results!

PM me if ya want tips and/or pics on how I did my setup!
These are plenty bright for me. I have mine wired into my marker light circuit.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Any pics of your LED Setup pal?< Can You PM me with more info?, I would love to do my 3rd brake light bar, and my door handles!, ;)

Thanks!

Luie

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Well...I didn't have a chance to get pics last night, but I have a couple that I snapped when I was originaly putting it all together.

The first pic is of the LED's that are in the center-most position of the reflector bar (next to the 3rd brakelight section). This is how I did the "sub-assemblies". I built them in "sets" and then hooked them all together once they were installed. Each LED has a resister soldered to it..yes, it's time consuming! I then soldered all the negative (-) cathodes (ground) together to a common post for each "set" of LED's.

Here is that same set of LED's installed on the reflector bar. The LED's are 5mm, and the holes are drilled approx. .75" apart. You can see the single "post" that I used to connect them all to the ground wire.

Here are all the LED's installed on one side of the Reflector bar. I used Super Glue "gel" to hold them in place. Seems to work pretty well. I applied the glue around the lip of each LED and then pushed them into place to get a good fit that would seal all the way around each LED.

I essentially did the same thing with the positive (+) cathodes as I did with the negatives. I soldered each "set" to a common cathode in the middle of each group, and then soldered that single post to a wire that I tied into my marker lights for power. The negative cathodes were soldered to another wire and grounded to the decklid where the latch is secured. The routing of the positive (power) wire just followed the latch and brake-light wires that are already in place. I just pulled it through and taped them all together.

I can't promise anything, but I'll TRY to get more pics in the next day or two...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Nice job. One question though. Why didn't you use a parallel circuit to wire them up? Something like a 5v voltage regulator, with one resister to get the correct voltage and run 2 buss wires to all the LED's to make the wiring more simple.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
300Michael said:
Nice job. One question though. Why didn't you use a parallel circuit to wire them up? Something like a 5v voltage regulator, with one resister to get the correct voltage and run 2 buss wires to all the LED's to make the wiring more simple.
Mainly because I like doing things the hard way! lol! I'm no elecrtonics whiz, and this method is the only one written up in a "how-to" on here. One of these days, I'll study up on electronics and LED's and then do a really nice setup.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts