DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've bought some clear turn signal/ marker lights for the Special so I'm looking at possibly getting some LED's to light them up. So I've seen the switchbacks in the past, they're pretty cool. But, I'm not ready to pay $40-$50 for one set of them. So going to eBay I found some that look identical, the link is bellow. What I'm wondering is if anybody has a review on these? Also, since I'm only doing the front do I need a different flasher relay than if I was doing all 4? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-3157-T2...ies&hash=item43b0b4954b&vxp=mtr#ht_4016wt_952

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,880 Posts
Those seem good, but it's a matter of your personal preference.
This set and the bulbs I buy from autolumination are both 60 diode.

The difference between them (according to the picture in that eBay listing, the rows of diodes alternate by color) is that theirs have alternate illuminating diodes depending on mode of operation meaning 30 diodes light up in the white/running light phase and the other 30 in the turn signal amber/blinking phase as where with the bulbs I've been using all 60 diodes are identical with dual filament design. They all are white or all yellow according to phase.

I'm not sure but I would imagine there being some difference in brightness between these types.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The first set i bought looked identical to those but what i didn't like was that the white light didn't turn off when the signal was on making it very hard to see even at night.

·
5,880 Posts
The first set i bought looked identical to those but what i didn't like was that the white light didn't turn off when the signal was on making it very hard to see even at night.
There are 2 types of that switchback~ A/W (Amber/White) & A/O (Amber/Off)
From your description it seems that you had the A/W type which when in turn signal mode, flashes amber & white alternately....
The other type A/O, which is what I prefer, is white only when illuminated as a running light. In turn signal mode it changes and flashes simulating a normal bulb thus flashing amber & off (dark) alternately.

·
5,880 Posts
For those interested in buying these type of bulbs, make sure you know what you're ordering according to your preference of how these bulbs function. I don't know if it's still on there, but the site I bought several from (autolumination) had videos posted demonstrating how each bulb functions and looks in running light & turn signal modes. I suppose there would be videos on this somewhere on the internet via Google.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great info Fred. I distinctly remember seeing these on your car at Danlisle a few years ago, that's why I'm interested in them.

·
5,880 Posts
Thanks dude, I still has'em!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I prefer the Amber/Off version as well. The white lights up and kinda strobes every time the amber flashes, it's a really cool effect. I have them on my Intrepid and they're awesome.......however they're VERY VERY bright, I can almost use them as headlights at night, it's pretty rediculous.

·
5,880 Posts
I prefer the Amber/Off version as well. The white lights up and kinda strobes every time the amber flashes, it's a really cool effect. I have them on my Intrepid and they're awesome.......however they're VERY VERY bright, I can almost use them as headlights at night, it's pretty rediculous.
I've noticed the sort of strobing effect also. It only occurs when using turn signals while headlights & running lights are off. When either or both are on it doesn't happen for some strange reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts