DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put red LEDs in their outside mirrors and hooked them up to the turn signals?

I figure the 6-8 super-brite LEDs behind the mirror in the housing would light the gap between the mirror and housing pretty nicely.

And am I right in thinking that 'd need to run a single extra wire to each mirror and just use the existing ground?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
It is funny that you mention that. I have been thinking of that myself. It is a hell of a lot cheaper than 300M turn signal mirrors. I was thinking of fitting a clear small plastic lense on the outside tips of my mirrors...wireing should not be that hard. If you were to find something that would work that has wires already attatched to the LED's...run the red to the turn sig power wire and then the black to a seperate ground and same same for the other mirror. Thats how I see it anyway.

·
Registered
655 Posts
im light crazy myself lol, and thought about that for some period of time too, well if you mean stick the LED's behind the mirror so it comes on the outside, there is a 5 (i think it is) pack LED with like 4 feet of wire attached to it for like 5-7$ at Best Buy, otherways if you thinking of like actual < and > shape LEDs that u can stick on the mirror and run the wire to hook it up, then they are on E-Bay for around $25.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I have these already. They look good on the mirror at night. They're pretty bright. But they are not noticable during the day. I didn't put them inside the mirrir like you guys want to. They were really easy to wire in. You'd just have to get some extra wires. They only come with about 2 feet of wiring.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Don't cheap out.....just get special mirrors, everyone's doing it ;)

·
Registered
952 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:sigh:

The point in putting individual LED into the housing behind the mirror is to get an effect *unlike* the factory made MUTH mirrors.

If all I wanted was to copy and duplicate what can be store-bought and what you see on every street corner, there would be no point in DIY.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]If all I wanted was to copy and duplicate what can be store-bought and what you see on every street corner, there would be no point in DIY.[/QUOTE]

you find me another intrepid with the MUTH mirrors. that is the only intrepid that i know of that has them.

not something you can buy at any store, or that you see on every street corner.

just wanted to point that out.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
to give you guys an idea of what the ebay L.E.D.s look like... not pretty...

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I haven't seen alot of cars really with signaling mirrors, short of really SUV's and such.

I did just notice on kwmuths webpage that they have a module that you can add for different things. http://www.kwmuth.com/products/kits/200-0064.htm (on a side note I think the Freestar and Caravan have that feature when the sliding door opens on say the left side the left side blinkers blink when the power feature is used)

Damnit...now I want a set for the Dakota....

Also if anyone is seriously uncomfortable in doing this and wants someone to do it, there are retailers that will so it, I'm sure for a pretty penny though: http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/automotivekeyinstallers.pdf

·
Registered
952 Posts
cperez44 said:
But thats a heated mirror, will it still work. I currently don't have heated side mirrors
I'm pretty sure it'll still work.

·
Registered
292 Posts
if i read it right, what he WANTS to do is put the LED's bhind the mirror so all u get is the glow around the mirror when the turn signal is on, just the glow, and not be able to see the LED's....
This is what i have been thinking, if i am not wrong, u were thinking the same thing.... I think it sounds like somthing to try....

·
Registered
292 Posts
:bigok:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts