DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, for all you LED guys out there. I have a question. I have a radar detector that uses LED's for visual output. (duh, just like every radar detcetor does)

Anyawy, here's what I want to do. I want to hide the radar detector (where? I don't know yet, I just want it out of sight...but that's something different)

Anyway, I want to tap into where the stock LED's on the radar detector are hooked up and run some wire to my dash where I will have some LED's sticking up out of the dash. In other words, I want my radar detector stashed somewhere, but I want the LED display lights to be visible on my dash.

Question, can I run wire to an LED without any loss of power to it? Should I do anything else besides what I've explained? Does this make any sense? ;)

Any help is mucho appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
actually my radar detector has a screen that displays words and speaks instead of beeping and blinking :p. but that is a cool idea that you have. you'd think there should be a place under your dash where you could mount it. BUT having it hidden might make it not as reliable. there will be more stuff between the radar and the lens on the radar detector, and it might not pick up the signals as well.

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: pimped3point3 ]

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually thinking of mounting it somewhere in my OTIS but behind the plastic. That way it couldn't be seen, but the display would be somewhere down on my dash.

My question, how do LED's take to five feet of wire in between their power source?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
as long as you are running the LED's off the cars 12V power and not batteries it doesnt matter how much wire you have between them and the power source.

PS- make sure the LED's you have are polarity sensitive, and be careful not to cross the + and - or you'll be going through LED's left and right :)

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: pimped3point3 ]

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I had the same vision last year. I wanted to make a radar detector that would be in pieces rather one complete unit. Have the sensor on (or above) the roof and hide the lights in the instrument cluster. Lack of time and resources has lead to no further development. I would like to see pics of your set up when you get it done.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys...I hope to start on it this week. I'll post pics when I am done.

Intrepid99, I was thinking of putting it in my instrument cluster like the guy you saw. I am just wondering, how hard is it to take out the cluster? I know some of you guys have taken it out to replace bulbs. Is it involved? :confused:

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I knew a guy that hooked it up to his dash lights, so his dash would flash instead of the detector. cause you need to keep it hidden up here in Canada cause its illegal.

·
Registered
468 Posts
whats an LED,.......................

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the topic of LED's...who was it that replaced all of their dash lights with blue LED's?

I want to do that, and since I'm going to have my instrument cluster out to install the radar detector LED's, I might as well switch over the dash lights too.

How were the LED's put in place of the bulbs? Detail please!! I do my best work when it's well planned out! ;)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
manitoba too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts