DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently (like yesterday) my trep started making this odd sound when i turn left. It has to be a sharp left like pulling out a parking spot or at an intersection.

When i turn the wheels its fine but once the car starts rolling theres like a screeching sound something like when people burn their tires out. I took it to the dealer and they said i need a brake inspection since the squealer on the pass front side is making the sound.

So i took the rim off, caliper and looked at the pads, they are like 3 months old (~ 1000km) and they still look like new, the pad squeel plate isnt even close to the rotor.

Its odd because it never makes the sound going straight or turning right, just turning left.

Ive heard it on a 2nd gen Se this morning as well, but this one was much worse, it was doing it all the time, plus its not continuous its like a bad spot on the rotor just catching the brake pad so it alternated on that trep.

IF anyone has encountered this can you please let me know what to replace... brakes, alignment..

Thanks.

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
simple solution.. don't turn left.. "badump bump!"

I'd check the inner rear side of the drivers wheelwell/tire and the outer front side of the passengerside.

Look for signs of rubbing or something hanging loose, or the tire going bad.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theres no physical rubbing, i checked for that.

I thought maybe the alignment was off since the tire would be grasping on an angle but i cant tell that right now. The car had its alignment at about 45km... now it has 53km, it was wobbling on the highway when braking, but now it hasnt been showing any signs.

You what it sounds like... just like when ppl pull u turns at a light, like the squeal alternates and its not continuous, to me it sounds like a rubber squeal, but it will do it on gravel roads too so it may be the rotor???

BTW rotors and brakes were replaced, when i took them off i just added some anti seize stuff on the caliper parts and rear plates of the brake pads.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Wow, I would never go to that dealer again. I'm pretty sure our brakes don't even have sensors on them. You said it sounded like tires squealing. I can't see why your brakes would do it when you turn, and they would be more of a metal on metal noise. My best guess would be a worn or loose serpentine belt. Under full lock, there is more resistance on the power steering pump and this will sometimes cause the belt to slip. I've never had this happen on the intrepid, but I have known it to be very common on most cars.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Could be the hub assembly (part # 4593450AA) starting to go. If it begins making the squeak all the time when rolling, and sounds like a brake wear indicator, it is on it's way out.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Dodgaholic said:
Could be the hub assembly (part # 4593450AA) starting to go. If it begins making the squeak all the time when rolling, and sounds like a brake wear indicator, it is on it's way out.
hmmm, thats exactly what mine sounds like. It only does it when I'm going slow and hit the brakes a little though.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodgaholic said:
how can I test this.... hub assembly ?? what does it look like ?

Its not the serpentine belt since they took it to full left and full right and its coming specifically from the right front wheel only. Basically it sounds just like if you floor it from start, just tire squealing to the left.... if you drive straight no problems.

So no one has had this specific left turn problem, i dont hear it any other time, even when the car is running and the wheels are turned left i dont hear it, just once the car starts rolling forward, seems to do it in reverse as well.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
btw isnt the hub assembly the wheel bearing and all??? my car has 53000km, i really doubt that would go this quickly. I wish there was some test for all of these things.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I have a similar occurance like yours. it seems to be just when turning left like into my parents' driveway. Mine doesn't sound like a squeal or a brake issue though. Mine sounds more like a power steering howl. Howl is about the only way I can describe mine. It doesn't do this all the time and I haven't been able to recreate it. It seems to be only when making a left, just as yours. I did my brakes at all 4 corners over the summer, and even before that, it happened every now and again. I can rule out tires and wheel bearings/hubs since I got new tires in May when the car was inspected and it did this noise with the old tires and both before and after inspection. If it were a loose bearing my garage would have told me about it.

Like I said, mine sounds like a howl, or perhaps a whine, kinda like when you're low on PS fluid, except I'm right on the hot mark.

Oh, and new belts back in may also, so mine's not a belt issue either.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Well, the test would be if it deteriorates into an all the time situation rather quickly. It would start squeaking pretty much constantly after a couple of days.

I've see them go after 35K, so mileage isn't really the indicator, more conditions. Ever been in deep water? Super dirty, like mud, or in a really dust area, or dirt roads? Lotsa potholes on your roads?

Then again, any part can fail any time. You could get it checked by the dealer easy enough, and it's a one day repair. If you wanna DIY, you's need someone with a bigger brain than me to walk you thru.

This is all, of course, if this actually is the problem. My remote viewing skills have been know to let people down. :)

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Oh, you could jack it up, and see how freely it spins by hand, compared to the other side. If you have a bearing S'ing the bed, it would not spin as freely, and you might hear some grinding.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Actually wheel bearings on their way out don't spin too badly at all. You will be able to see if they are loose by doing the same tests you would when looking for loose tie rods and ball joints. I haven't known bearings to begin squealing but I have heard them begin to make a growling noise that gets louder with road speed. If you jack up the wheel, grab the tire at 3 and 9 and give it a shake. Now grab it at 12 and 6 and give it a shake. If you get some movement at both positions, you've either got both bad tie rods and ball joints, or a bad wheel bearing. Make sure you lock the steerin wheel so you're not confusing normal steering movement with play.

My wife's old sebring had both front bearings shot at the same time. One you could feel the play with the wheel removed, at the hub because it was worn that bad. The other you could only feel any play out of it with the wheel on it. but if you can feel any play in it with or without the wheel, its time for new bearings.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You know, now that I think about it, I usually take really tight turns at high speed with minimal tire squeal. The other day I had my windows down and I took a wide turn at pretty low speed and I heardd a squeal. It hasn't happened again since.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
MathWiz said:
Check the power steering fluid level
Not sure about the OP, but I already have. I actually at one point had to remove some ps fluid with a squeeze bulb because it was overfilled.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Only when turning, and only in one direction. turns out it was the little metal guard at the bottom inside of the rotor on one wheel. I couldn't get it to make a peep with the wheel off, bit looked at both sides and noticed that on one side this steel strip was pretty close to the rotor.

My guess is that while turning, there is enough play in the wheel bearing/hub to allow contact. I bent mine back about 1/8" and never heard from it again.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Check the thin metal deflector plate on the back side of the rotor. If it's really close to the disc, it may rub and make sqealing sound during turns. I had this happen on mine.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey cool thanks guys... its really strange but ill look into the easy suggestions first.

So i will definitely check out the plate touching the rotor (deflector)

I just noticed i had low pressure in the rear passenger tire (like 16psi). Would that be causing this problem??? its actually a leaky valve yet again and i need to get a tps sensor before i get it fixed.

It seems like the front was doing it, maybe because the back was way too deflated holding weight down?

Ill lift it up tomorrow and see about the plate, what does it look like exactly, im guessing its like the rear one but not as visible. I can see the rear plate is bigger than the rear rotor so this plate may be just getting pushed on by the rotor during turn play???

Sounds like the plate is my problem since my car is mint and thats from ppl that have seen it thus far. I will keep u guys updated.

Thanks again for ur help. This site has once again been a great place to learn and inform others.

Ciprian

·
Registered
376 Posts
Look on the backside of the rotor, at the bottom. You can't miss it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts