DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I'd have to see one in person, I don't see the point or the legality issue. As long as the light is only on when you brake it should be legal. Even if it flashes, which many OEM ones do now, it should be legal...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You could probably use them in the tail.......... but certainly not in a turn signal. Turns must be amber.

·
Registered
189 Posts
rear turns can be red. I know in ct you can have lights from the front of the rear tire back as long as they are yellow amber or red. I have a link to the national codes on this at work when i get there ill post it

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Ah! You're right - *rear* turns can be.......

Whatever the law is is somewhat of a moot point. It really depends on what the cops want to enforce.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
These would be illegal. Or at least in Nebraska anyways.

·
Registered
17 Posts
cops usually don't bother anyone too much here in cincinnati about neons and stuff because there are so many cars with them, but they still do sometimes when they are bored or its close do the end of the month when they need to fill their ticket quoata.

·
Registered
189 Posts
heres what i should have posted

If you really want to know heres a link to the code of federal regulations
CHAPTER V--NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 571--FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS

Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/...9cfr571.108.pdf

i warn you its long (72 pages) not all applies to cars

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks ill check that out, but i need to ask a quick question

underbody kits.

Someone told me they ARE legal to drive around with as long as their not blue or red.... is this true? so if i had a green underbody kit I wouldnt have to worry and could just drive with them on at all times?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Blockimus said:
ok thanks ill check that out, but i need to ask a quick question

underbody kits.

Someone told me they ARE legal to drive around with as long as their not blue or red.... is this true? so if i had a green underbody kit I wouldnt have to worry and could just drive with them on at all times?
It's a touchy subject, it varies state to state also. But most states have certain colors you can't have shining to the front or rear or can't have period. It really opens yourself up to a lot of hassle though.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
shadjuice said:
cops usually don't bother anyone too much here in cincinnati about neons and stuff because there are so many cars with them, but they still do sometimes when they are bored or its close do the end of the month when they need to fill their ticket quoata.
Unless it is a lame city code, underbody neon is legal in Ohio according to State code.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Most states won't allow red, blue, white or amber, nor will they allow any color if the tube is visible. Check out your local laws. Don't call the police station because they will likely tell you they are all illegal because they don't like them. However, I'll bet you can find some colors that are allowed in your area. Just be prepared to take your case to court once in a while if you run into a cop looking to hand out tickets... ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know that in FL it's no blue period, no red if it can be seen from the front, and any other color is okay as long as the tube is hidden and they don't flash

·
Registered
75 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
Don't call the police station because they will likely tell you they are all illegal because they don't like them.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not True.

Just look it up so you know what exactly you can and can not have on your car.
I work for the police and I like them and have them on my car.:eek:

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
It may depend on the officer you happen to get on the other end of the phone when you call. I've had it happen more than once to me personally. I appologize if I wrongly stereotyped all officers the same...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, so is there a good site to see what light things are legal here in michigan? i tried looking on google but couldnt find anything, and i tried that one guys link and it was broken...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Blockimus said:
ok, so is there a good site to see what light things are legal here in michigan? i tried looking on google but couldnt find anything, and i tried that one guys link and it was broken...
basically......you can have no internal or external neons of any color inside or outside youe vehicle while driving. The onlt thing I think MIGHT be legal is a white neon liscence plate frame

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't know if they're legal but they're goofy as all hell.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
It will take some searching, but you should be able to find all the info regarding lighting on the Michigan state governmental web site. Most neon manufacturers claim that there are at least some colors legal in all 50 states if installed properly. It's just up to you to find out what colors and how to install them to be legal...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts