DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 99 intrepid has a noise coming from the back rear tire. I noticed it a few days ago when I backed up and heard a loud snap. When I went forward I heard a "Shoo, shoo, shoo" sound. I thought it was part of a branch that I ran over earlier but looked under the car and could not see anything and the sound seemed to go away.

Fast forward a couple days. I drove the car 9 hours to/from Chicago for the auto show and when driving the last few blocks to my house with the radio off and no wind noise I could hear this non consistent rattle sound.

So the temp is around 0 this week so my check was quick. I jacked up the back tires one at at a time I was thinking bad wheel bearing. Driver side was OK. Passenger side bingo found the noise. Hard to describe. The wheel has no play but when I roll it forward or back there is a weird tattle noise that is hard to describe.

This car has rear disc with the drum in hat. Last time I had it apart to change out the rotors and pads on the disk I notice the pads on the emergency break were separating. That was about 2.5 years ago.

Soooooo, is it possible it could still be a wheel bearing even though I have none of the common side to side movement associated with that or do you think that a pad came off the drum in hat setup and mad a mess of things?

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Wouldn't be the first rear pad separation on these cars. Could be bearing, but since you noticed a pad or shoe issues 2.5 years ago, I'm betting that is the problem. Also, I've had many bearings go bad, but none that announced their demise by sudden noises - always just gradually started developing the growling noise over a period of months.

BTW - it's actually more often than not that you won't notice play in a bad wheel bearing because they have some pre-load - unless you just ignore it for a super long time and the wear gets really bad. Most people will have replaced them long before that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peva is a winner!

I ran down the block and the grinding noise was so bad I decided to brave the cold.

I took the drum off and nothing but fragments of shoes were left. You can see some of the pieces on the ground.

Where can I get replacements?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Any auto parts store. If you order from advance auto, you can search for advance auto coupons, get 10 to 30% off, order online using that code, and pick up in store.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
only if you use your parking brake or need to pass a safety is it necessary to replace them.
but, as above, most auto parts stores should have them or can order them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts