DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am hoping that someone can answer this question for me cause Im just curious to find out what I might have done wrong. I have a 2001 chrysler LHS. A couple days ago, out of no where I ran into this problem. I had just left my house, to go to the store, and the car was running fine. I got out of the store, was heading back home, and all of a sudden my engine reved up, and I was pushing the gas, and the car was just starting to roll. As if I had the car in neutral. I heard the "eeeeeee......" kind of noise. I found it kinda odd, but then the car kicked back into gear. Well thought nothing of it till a minute later, Im sitting at the light wanting to make a left turn, when all of a sudden it does it again. I sat there and shift it into park, I shift into neutral and after like about a couple of minutes just sitting there, it kicked back into gear again, and I was able to make it home. The "eeeeee...." sound would only be just at the time it was going to lose the gear. Well I figured all was good, cause I didnt hear it again, all the way home. Till I was leaving again, and all of a sudden, same thing happened, but the gear was only in for about a min, then nothing again. Figured it was the transmission, called a tow truck, took it to the mechanic, and they let me know that I would have to take out the transmission and rebuild it cause there lied the problem. Now my question here is what could I have done wrong to have this car do this. I bought it 3 years ago, it had 13 thousand miles, now it has 53 thousand, so I have but in 40 myself. I havnt hit anything, I havnt had to dig myself out of some sand or nothing like that. The only thing I can think of is, that few times I step on the gas a little more to pass someone, or speed up a little faster, but not neccarily slam down to the floor on the gas. I want to know what I could have done wrong for this to happen, and if there is more of a probability now for to reoccur out of no where. I appreciate any input. thx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well that sure sucks and sounds expensive. im not sure but the only things that i can think of is that the tranni was abused by the previous owner or the tranni was run low on fluid, or a combination of the two. there are certainly lots of others but its hard to tell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your telling me, I had 2 grand because I was going to get my wife a new vehicle, then this happened. I mean I checked the transmission fluid and that was fine and clean. And also I find it kind of add that after 3 years of no problem with the transmission out of no where it does this. I thought that the fact was the transmission fluid was change 100,000 miles. Is this not correct? It just stinks that the fact this happened. But is it a higher chance that it be my driving habbits, or is more of a possiblility that it was something else, or that it was something I could not control? Thx for the input.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Sheesh.

a) Who told you 100k miles for the tranny fluid?? Get the tranny serviced NOW if it never has been. 'The book' calls for a full flush, pan drop, filter, refill with ATF+4 fluid ONLY every 30k miles. Cost is about $150-. This is potentially (not potentially, guaranteed!) a very (!!!) messy operation so a dealer is the best way to go here. Don't bother with the chain or el-cheapo tranny shops.

b) Does your speedometer work? Parts of your description sound like a problem with the 'output speed sensor'. These are VERY easy for an owner to change out. You will want to change both the input and output sensors at a cost of about $100-

If the above two don't work, then you might be looking at surgery for the tranny. $2k is the top of the cost range if a rebuilt is needed. Other items that could be done before Major Surgery include:

Electronic solenoid pack at about $200.

TCM (tranny computer) at about $250.

Weird electrical/cable problem, troubleshoot at $50 an hour.

Do a forums search and find out how to 'pull codes' from the engine/tranny computers. Any error codes found will point you in the correct direction.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]Sheesh.

a) Who told you 100k miles for the tranny fluid?? Get the tranny serviced NOW if it never has been. 'The book' calls for a full flush, pan drop, filter, refill with ATF+4 fluid ONLY every 30k miles. Cost is about $150-. This is potentially (not potentially, guaranteed!) a very (!!!) messy operation so a dealer is the best way to go here. Don't bother with the chain or el-cheapo tranny shops.

b) Does your speedometer work? Parts of your description sound like a $50 output speed sensor problem. These are VERY easy for an owner to change out. You will want to change both the input and output sensors at a cost of about $100-

If the above two don't work, then you might be looking at surgery for the tranny. $2k is the top of the cost range if a rebuilt is needed. Other items include:

Electronic solenoid pack at about $200.

TCM (tranny computer) at about $250.

Weird electrical/cable problem, troubleshoot at $50 an hour.

Do a forums search and find out how to pull 'codes' from your cards engine/tranny computer. Any error codes found will point you in the correct direction.[/QUOTE]

^^^^Everything he said there is golden.

Also, remember there is only one type of transmission fluid that will work in this tranny, and it's only availible from your dealer (and some very select auto parts stores).

I bought my LHS at 39K miles. Within the first month, i had changed out all the fluids, filters, etc. Because who knows what the car went through before i got my hands on it. Almost 30K miles later and not a single problem to report yet on it ;)

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
also take into consideration these transmissions suck from the factory. I know nobody really wants to hear it but face the facts; THEY DONT LAST!!!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The 42le trannys as built for the 1G LH cars had problems. These were mostly with the clutch packs and one recall for the torque converter, no one is disputing that. But with the 1G LH cars, the tranny problems could be easily prevented with agressive maintenance and the addition of a tranny fluid cooler.

However, the mechanical problems were mostly fixed in the 2G LH cars (which slimsurgery has). In the 2G LH cars tranny problems are mostly fluid/filter/sensor related. As long as someone isn't doing max-RPM 'neutral drops' the mechanicals in a latter-year 42le tranny are pretty damned reliable.

You're on your third tranny in a 1G car? You do know that a 2G LH tranny will fit onto your 1G car, don't you? No sense in buying a rebuilt 42le tranny unless you go for the fully rebuilt Power Demon. Just find a 2G LH car with a blown 2.7 motor, buy it to pull the tranny out, then re-sell or part out the hulk.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Im no stranger to this crap!

Several things to check!

First, like all the other poster said, havce the dealer do a flush, fill and bew filter. Do it at the dealer, they will use ATF+4 instead of some other fluid.

ATF+4 is the ONLY fluid to be used in our trannies. Other fluids even with "friction modifier additives" can drgrade performance and even damage our trannies.

Have the dealer check the Clutch Volume Indexes or CVIs, ask if they are within spec, if they are not, you need to rebuild or replace your tranny.

Have them check for foreign objects like sheared parts or excessive metal shavings, these are additional signs that your tranny is FUBAR.

You said you had plenty of fluid right? OK, the whining noise is likely a low fluid condition SOMWHERE in the tranny. Since you have plenty of fluid in the sump, there is likely a problem with the solenoid pack or the TCM that controls it, the valve body or possibly the transmission oil pump. Or if you are lucky, a clogged filter. A clogged tranny cooler or line could cause this type of problem too.

The solenoid pack directs fluid to parts of the tranny and is responsible for controlling shifting. If you suddenly lose fluid to a clutch pack, you will go out of gear and the whining sound is probably the distinct sound of dry gears...

Get it checked out NOW! The sooner you correct the problem, the less damage will be done.

If it shifts OK before it malfunctions, it is probably servicable, it just needs to be fixed before you break something REALLY expensive like a planetary gear set.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]The 42le trannys as built for the 1G LH cars had problems. These were mostly with the clutch packs and one recall for the torque converter, no one is disputing that. But with the 1G LH cars, the tranny problems could be easily prevented with agressive maintenance and the addition of a tranny fluid cooler.

However, the mechanical problems were mostly fixed in the 2G LH cars (which slimsurgery has). In the 2G LH cars tranny problems are mostly fluid/filter/sensor related. As long as someone isn't doing max-RPM 'neutral drops' the mechanicals in a latter-year 42le tranny are pretty damned reliable.

You're on your third tranny in a 1G car? You do know that a 2G LH tranny will fit onto your 1G car, don't you? No sense in buying a rebuilt 42le tranny unless you go for the fully rebuilt Power Demon. Just find a 2G LH car with a blown 2.7 motor, buy it to pull the tranny out, then re-sell or part out the hulk.[/QUOTE]

*Mine was replaced with a 2nd gen. But my personal opinion about dodge transmissions in general is they are junk. Every one our family has ever owned has been replaced with the exception of the 98 pickup (which its time will come) 89 caravan once, 90 voyager 3 times (finally junked @ 210k) 93 caravan once, 92 ram350 tranny died and traded for van 95 ram350 (currently out). The best part of the story is all of those were to replace the ol' 84 caprice wagon in 89 when my parents thought the tranny was going, they still have the caprice and is still going strong 50k miles later.

Sorry for the Hi-Jack :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn it

Everyone pointed out very good points, that I wish I would have posted earlier because I could have went to the mechanic with more knowledge. I let them know the problem, they said they would check it out and let me know estimate. And said that it was a trasmission problem, they would have to take the rebuild transmission and that it would cost me $2k, and I felt I have no choice, the car was not drivable, and really need it. But I didnt know that it was 30k miles to change tranny fluid, that is very good info, might be why mine just went out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been There;

My tranny did the same thing. I wasn't having any problems, until I put in some transmission additive to "clean and restore original performance". It apparently cleaned the tranny so well that the filter plugged and wouldn't alow proper flow. New filter $15-- new fluid---$25, + some oil on my hands, and it worked as good as new.
slimsurgery said:
Hi,
I am hoping that someone can answer this question for me cause Im just curious to find out what I might have done wrong. I have a 2001 chrysler LHS. A couple days ago, out of no where I ran into this problem. I had just left my house, to go to the store, and the car was running fine. I got out of the store, was heading back home, and all of a sudden my engine reved up, and I was pushing the gas, and the car was just starting to roll. As if I had the car in neutral. I heard the "eeeeeee......" kind of noise. I found it kinda odd, but then the car kicked back into gear. Well thought nothing of it till a minute later, Im sitting at the light wanting to make a left turn, when all of a sudden it does it again. I sat there and shift it into park, I shift into neutral and after like about a couple of minutes just sitting there, it kicked back into gear again, and I was able to make it home. The "eeeeee...." sound would only be just at the time it was going to lose the gear. Well I figured all was good, cause I didnt hear it again, all the way home. Till I was leaving again, and all of a sudden, same thing happened, but the gear was only in for about a min, then nothing again. Figured it was the transmission, called a tow truck, took it to the mechanic, and they let me know that I would have to take out the transmission and rebuild it cause there lied the problem. Now my question here is what could I have done wrong to have this car do this. I bought it 3 years ago, it had 13 thousand miles, now it has 53 thousand, so I have but in 40 myself. I havnt hit anything, I havnt had to dig myself out of some sand or nothing like that. The only thing I can think of is, that few times I step on the gas a little more to pass someone, or speed up a little faster, but not neccarily slam down to the floor on the gas. I want to know what I could have done wrong for this to happen, and if there is more of a probability now for to reoccur out of no where. I appreciate any input. thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts