DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got into an accident and aside from the body issues, everything seems to work okay except for the A/C. The collision was in the rear as well as in the front right of the car. Anyone have any idea why the A/C would have stopped working?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Refrigerant leak, broken belt, bad compressor or clutch, broken transducer.
Maybe obvious stuff that's already been checked, but it's a start.
More details on what you have or have not checked ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sounds like a leak if the blowers are working. Something could have been jarred loose. Have the system pressure tested and pray that its not the evaporator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Refrigerant leak, broken belt, bad compressor or clutch, broken transducer.
Maybe obvious stuff that's already been checked, but it's a start.
More details on what you have or have not checked ?
Hmm, unfortunately my hood is jammed shut, and even if it wasn't, I'm absolutely clueless on how to check these things. I think a broken belt may be obvious to the eye though. I am in the process of getting the hood un-jarred

TJ said:
Sounds like a leak if the blowers are working. Something could have been jarred loose. Have the system pressure tested and pray that its not the evaporator.
I sure hope not either! I read a tiny bit about those! x.x

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hmm, unfortunately my hood is jammed shut, and even if it wasn't, I'm absolutely clueless on how to check these things. I think a broken belt may be obvious to the eye though. I am in the process of getting the hood un-jarred

I sure hope not either! I read a tiny bit about those! x.x
If it got smashed hard enough to jam the hood, it don't sound good partner, sorry.
Once you get the hood open, turn on the A/C if the belt's still intact (yes, it will be obvious).
I'm not sure if these cars have low pressure switches or not (prevents the A/C from working if the system is low on charge).
If not that will tell you if the clutch and compressor are still working.
Also look for excess oil sprayed in a certain area (refrigerant oil, not engine oil), for indications of a bad hose/line or other such leak.
The transducer is on the right side as well. I can only see mine from the botton looking up.
Sort of a round two wire connector plugged onto a switch installed in a fitting on the line going to the condenser.
I read somewhere they were prone to failure, so I went to the yard and picked up three.
The first one brought my A/C back online, so I think I still have 2 if you need one (no gaurentee on if they work or not though, I've not tested them to see).

As an aside, the blower working is not a good indication of the A/C (or heat for that matter) status or condition.
If it works it blows air, hot, cold or otherwise. That only means the motor and associated circuitry is intact and working.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts