DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am starting to do simple maintenance on my 1993 Concorde (such as, oil change, coolant flush, replace transmission speed sensors, transmission fluid flush, replace belts, other small things).

What do you use to lift the vehicle?

If you do not have access to an auto shop, is there an auto parts--or other--store that will rent lifting equipment?

I am leaning towards ramps, but they might be a bit too costly for my budget.

Thank you,
edsager

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
jack and jackstands. never crawl under a car on a jack only.
ramps aren't bad either. all should be used on a solid footing.(pavement/concrete. jackstands will just drive into dirt. )
or, you can jack up and block with wood(chunks of 2x6 are fairly safe) under the frame or jacking points along the side(frame is safer)
when i was young and worked framing, i was able to aquire chunks of different beams that i'd slip under the tires to raise it up enough.
they were all 12x12 or larger. chunks of parallam, microlam, gluelam.
there's always a cheap way. you can also drive up on big chunks(using smaller as ramps).
much more stable than ramps, and can be used on dirt unlike jackstands and bought ramps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My humble opinion jack & jack stands , if you car isn't mobile you can still get it up(no pun intended) please don't use concrete blocks, they can break!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Whew

I'm glad I served. I have access to the local USMC base and the auto hobby shop there. 20 indoor bays, including five or six lifts. Lift: $4.50 per hour, and worth every cent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your responses.

I wish I had access to the lifts mentioned by drynoc. Tried some shops near me, but for obvious legal reasons they declined my offer to rent a bay.

I saved up and purchased ramps and chocks:

Ramps: http://amzn.com/B0006MRQXG

Chocks: http://amzn.com/B006EGAIII

They should arrive on Tuesday.

I could not get past the visual precariousness of a lift and stands; basically, I am afraid I will accidentally kick a jack stand out and have the car land on my chest.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Thanks,
edsager

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I am afraid I will accidentally kick a jack stand out and have the car land on my chest.
i use stands pretty often at work when doing timing belts/heads and a few other things.
things that take time and you don't want to tie a hoist up.
most times it's not because they are needed to get underneath, it's because cars are too low nowadays. stands lift them up to a more comfortable range to work. (i'm 6'3)
ramps/stands, they are essentially the same.
only advantage to stands is adjustablity.
advantage to ramps is you dont need a jack to lift with.

as for knocking one out, i'd doubt you could do it with a sledge hammer with the weight of the vehicle on them. (well, not real easily anyways)
it's not something that would happen just rolling around on a creeper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts