DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 w/3.5L has 175k. seems to run fine, no funny sounds. I just changed the oil from 5w-30 winter to 10w-30 summer and now when i start it, i get a lifter tap for about 5-10 secs. I know the 10w is a little thicker cold but its only mid-50's or so overnite. maybe my oil pump is getting worn to the point its not providing full pressure as compared to new? what can you do? wait at least till the tapping sound stops before driving?

·
Registered
851 Posts
an oil filter with an anti drain back valve may help. napa gold is what i started using. some claims they noticed improvement. mine still does it for just a second, but i suppose its better. i know on the 2nd gen 3.5 we were talking that the valve train clatter on start up for a few seconds especially when its colder. try to doing a search on that.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the same brand filter as before. I do listen to the motor for funny sounds and I seem to recall thats its fairly quiet on startup during cold winter months. i park outside so its chilly. yaa, might try thowing on a different brand filter. i have used napa silver before. not sure about gold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts