DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to turn on my fog lights, and the problem that plagues intrepids happens to me: I end up breaking the switch off.. So, now I can't use my fogs :(. How do I replace this? Should I replace the whole light cluster with a new one, or should I put in the auto light cluster (is it hard to do, and how much is it?). Also, where do I get a new light cluster?

-Brandon

·
Registered
603 Posts
figure out which wires are for the fogs and install a separate switch for them. Then you can soak up the stock switch with epoxy so it won't pop out by accident. On the right side of the steering wheel on the trim, next to the ignition, there's usually a square spot for a switch. I think its for trac control, if you don't have trac then you can just do the switch right there. If you do hace it just drill the hole somewhere near the stock switch.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh ok.. Yea thats the trac control switch spot, but I dont want to have to run wires around my steering column and dash board.. I'd rather just switch the light cluster or something... I know a bunch of people have the "Auto" option on their switches cause they put a mod in there, but how do you do that? (If you can even do it on first gens).

-Brandon

·
Registered
683 Posts
I know you need a sunsensor and a switch with the "auto" position to do it, although I'm not sure what wiring mods need to be done. Search around and I'll sure you'll find some info.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ****.. forgot about the sunsensor.. **** that.... What about just replacing the light switch unit, can that be done easily?

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
when this happened to me, I juse drilled out the light part (well, the little green thing on the end, that lights up when the fogs are on), I wrapped a small piece of duct-tape around the wire that pulls out for the fogs, ran it through the hole on the knob, and put a small piece of tape to hold it in palce, very make-shift, but it worked

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apcsox said:
when this happened to me, I juse drilled out the light part (well, the little green thing on the end, that lights up when the fogs are on), I wrapped a small piece of duct-tape around the wire that pulls out for the fogs, ran it through the hole on the knob, and put a small piece of tape to hold it in palce, very make-shift, but it worked

Oh ok.. I could do that... or put a screw and wrap the wire around that :p

-Brandon

·
Registered
313 Posts
Autozone sells the replacement switch. It is the whole headlight/dimmer switch assembly. the only bad thing is that it's $63.99. You might check junk yards for a replacement. As far as replacing the switch, it's easy. Pop off the fuse box cover, remove the screw for the headlight switch cover, and pop it out. It has a clip holding it by the steering column, it might be a little tough to pop out. Then, there are 4 screws holding in the light switch assembly. Unscrew these, unplug the 2 wire connectors from the back of the switch, plug in the new one, and put it all back together. You should be able to do the whole thing in less than an hour.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!! I'll probably do that tuesday. My dad is supposed to demo a Ram SRT10 tomorrow that I will be driving all day!! :)

-Brandon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts