DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know I finished replacing my factory bulbs with PIAA's, they fit as good if not better than the factory XS models. The only difference between the two is the 9006XS (OEM) has a 90 degree boot, the 9006 is straight.

How-to:
remove two screws holding in headlight assembly
pull assembly out of car
turn socket holding OEM bulb
pull off connector
attach new bulb
turn connector to lock
reattach headlight assembly using same two screws

I also changed my H3 foglight bulbs, just as easy

remove screw
pull foglight assembly
undo clip holding bulb
pull wire
attach new wire (straight blade style) into factory round connector
reattach clip
reattach assembly

the bulbs make a world of difference

[ January 29, 2002: Message edited by: joekd ]

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by joekd:
The only difference between the two is the 9006XS (OEM) has a 90 degree boot, the 9006 is straight.
Actually, the 9006XS (OEM) is straight, and the 9006 has the 90 degree boot. :)

I just did the upgrade of my lows and highs to the PIAA Super Whites and they really do make a world of a difference!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
question for Joked, what is the wattage of the bulbs.. and did you do any wire upgrades?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmm, all this talk is making me really want new lights, its going to be expensive to replace 6 bulbs, thats going to be over $300 canadian.. not sure if its worth it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Installed the fog light PIAA H3 Super White Platinum 55 watt4150K tonight. I liked the color better than than the 3800K version. 3-4 days till the highs and lows show up, ~$195.00 Canadian dollars for both sets.

One question, what is the proper alignment for the headlight asemblies? I look at the built in level indicators and they are both quite different. How have others setup their units? No one has flashed me yet, but I suspect with the new bulbs that they will if they are out of whack at all.

darren

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by PSSDOFF:

One question, what is the proper alignment for the headlight asemblies? I look at the built in level indicators and they are both quite different. How have others setup their units? No one has flashed me yet, but I suspect with the new bulbs that they will if they are out of whack at all.

darren
Damn good question! I was wondering that myself. I noticed that the air bubble in the level is at the bottom (or towards the bumber) on both lights. I was wondering if this air bubble should be between the two red lines? Also, how do you adjust them?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I think they are adjusted with a screwdriver. And I have no idea how to align them, I would like to know cause just having your lights aligned makes a big differance.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think as long as you don't touch the adjusting screws you should be okay when re-installing the assembly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since my beast has to go in for it's first oil change on Friday, I will talk to one of the tech's that I know, and occasionally have a beer with. I will post once I get the details.

Any other burning questions anyone want me to ask?

darren

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry Warlord, but I am a network engineer out here, and if I can't have, one no one else can either.. :p Unless everyone does'nt mind if their high speed internet goes down. ;) Again :eek:

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
ook so if I want to order a set of PIAA bulbs, what do I ask for?

H3's? H4's?

9006's? 9005's? both?

what do i ned for fogs? low beam? high beam?
whats the highest wattage i can go with before i need to swap out wiring in case of meltdown?

can I ask more questions?

why is the sky blue? grass green? and why do fish stink if they are in water all the time?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by Thrasher:
why is the sky blue? grass green? and why do fish stink if they are in water all the time?
Well, in Michigan:

The sky isn't blue. It's gray because of all the damn clouds!

The grass isn't green. It's brown because it was killed by all this damn snow!

Why do fish stink if they are always in water? Well, because the water stinks because it's ****ing polluted!!!!

Did that answer any of your questions??? :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Shop manual on the Intrepid 2nd gen,

Says to adjust the lights, park car approx 20-30 feet from a wall. Turn on the lights and align the headlights to your preferred way. Lights should not be higher nor outside of the the measurements taken at the car in height and distance apart.

I have also seen on gen 1's, to take them into a dark parking lot and adjust the distance till you like it. Two options, both do not pay attention to the little bubbles.

sURFN

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thrasher..

Main Headlamps
You need both a set of the 9005 (high beam) PIAA twin pack part# 19605, and 9006 (low beam) PIAA twin pack part# 19606. DO NOT LET THEM TRY AND SELL YOU 2 SINGLE BULBS, OR YOU WILL PAY AN EXTRA $20.00 A SET.

Fog Lights (you have a couple of options..)

Standard 55 Watt bulbs
H3 Ion Crystal, PIAA part #13555 (Amber colored)
H3 Super White Platinum, PIAA part# 15455 (Brighter white, close to HID color)
H3 Xtreme White, PIAA part #15256 (As close to HID color as you can get)
H3 Super Plazma, PIAA part# 15555 (Quite blue looking)

85 Watt Bulbs
Do not plan on using unless you upgrade your wiring harness and like melting you lens assemblies!
H3 Super White Platinum, PIAA part# 15485

PIAA has a really good color chart to show where the different Kelvin ratings fit in
PIAA Color Chart

FYI, I tried both the Super Whites and the Xtreme Whites, Perf store put one in each fog to see what I liked better. The Super Platinums seemed to throw farther and clearer in the snow. We have about 4 feet of it right now, and it is about -35 :eek: Don't think this applies to your balmy Florida conditions. :cool:

hope this helps
darren

1 - 20 of 49 Posts