DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. Gotta 1998 corde. I had a varad led scanner sittn in my room for a while and decided to put it in my corde. I dont have any type of alarm system, this install is for visual effect.
Anyways, It has a 3 wire hook up. Red/Black/yellow. Red=12V power, Black=ground next to 12V hookup. The Yellow is suppost to be grounded on to the frame or metal itself. Supposidly the led senses the engine off and then turns on. And when the engine is on, it turns off. I used my fog light circuit in my fuse box for red/black wire hookup. And the yellow hooked to the dash metal frame. Leds worked but they were always on. The engine on/off made no difference. Have any hints guys and gals?

I need your expierence on elect. stuff. Thanks and have a nice evening.
Joe E.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
yellow should be to your switched ignition
red/constant power
black/ground

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys but I need alittle help. Still.... If the yellow is hooked to the ignition, wouldnt it come on only while te car is running? This is a led like an alarm system. Its suppost to run only when the car if off. Since leds dont drain much power, Im not worried about the battery. Im an electrical novice on a practical sense. Help..... thnks.
Joe E.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I dont know if your gonna be able to run it like you want to, the way that they are supposed to work is when your alarm is armed it comes on from a relay that is hooked up to the alarm's led light.

·
Registered
475 Posts
he jsut has to find something that throws 12+ when the car is off.

Do you have that factory keyless entry?

You could also wire up a relay to do that, but you have to make sure you do it right so the relay is at rest wen the car is off. If it is energised it will be a drain.

Then again, dpending upon the led, it may be wired for such a need.

Did you try it red to constant, yellow to ign, and black to ground jsut for kicks?

·
Registered
407 Posts
You'll need a very small 12v relay with n.c. and n.o. contacts. Connect the coil to black and yellow, connect your red to common and the LED's + wire to the normally closed connection. Key on will energize the relay and open the contacts, no LED's. Key off will allow the contacts to close and supply power to the LED's.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the web sit it says that the unit has a sensor inside it that detects the engines power on or off. Would that be a relay? Im gonna play with it a bit more and see what happens. It says it uses between 15-25mAs. is this micro or milli amps? Or mils? Thanks tech guys. Wish I understood these electric systems better. Thanks again.
Joe E.
oh, I guess I could run it all the time, just have no ignition wire at all.I wont be annoyed by it cuz Im puttin it on the back side of the rear view mirror. THX

·
Registered
407 Posts
>15-25mA ...
would be milliAmps, or 15-25/1,000 of an amp.
15µA would be 15/1,000,000 of an amp.
If there's a relay built in, great, you're all set.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Based on the owner's manuals for the Varad LED Scanners, the yellow wire is a negative trigger for activating the scanner. Basically you need something that goes to ground when the vehicle shuts off. You can use the ignition wire for this. It will see 12v when the car is running, but ground when the car is off. In the manual it says you can even connect this to the switched radio feed which should work as well. Pretty much anything that shows 12v while the car is on will show enough of a ground to activate this thing when the car is off.

The yellow wire typically connects to the "armed" output of an alarm. This alarm output will read ground when the alarm is armed and is typically used to operate the starter kill relay...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are the sh!T. Appreciate your time and expierence in this venture. Basically what im gonna do is use the foglight spot in my fuse box for the black/red wires and then test around with radio and lighter to find a good yellow hook up. Thanks again and have a nice evening!
Joe E.
damn yall are great! Dont know what id do w/o ya!

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Just connect the yellow wire to the switched power wire in the radio harness and you'll be good to go...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts