DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so i took my laptop to work and tried hooking up to their dsl but i get a limited or no conectivity symbol. i also get a 169.xx.xx.xx ip address. I have a Dell Inspiron 1560 running XP Professional with sp2. if i go with a manual ip address it says its connected but won't load anything? i can't access their ip settings because i'm not an "administrator". it sends the packets but doesn't receive any. Can someone please help me? i kinda know computers but am not quite up on the lingo. I'll be at work tonight and will be periodically checking this thread via dial-up. Thank you very much.
Jeramie :brutal_32

·
Registered
225 Posts
Could be your firewall blocking something. I sometimes have to reboot with or without the cable plugged in and then plug in to get it to connect. and make having your network setting to autosense (10 or 100mbps full or half duplex).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Look in the control panel / Network Connection if you can in the computer you use through work. Copy, and paste all of the information (I.E Default Gateway SubNet Mask, and so on) If that doesn't work after restarting, then they more than likely have good security. :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
it most likely means (like the last post said) that their pretty secure... there's ways to bypass it but you dont need the local admin comming to beat your ass, heh.. talk to the computer admin, and he'll change it. they put it on limited/no connectivity so its juuuuust enough to get your info, but not enough to send.. could also be a firewall problem..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well as far as I know from having my own DSL/Cable networking issues, it means simply you're not doing crap period on the connection. No AIM, no Yahoo, no websites. That infamous annoying little yellow networking icon. Sometimes I despise networking myself :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'd look but the comp won't let me access the settings. i got it to say i'm connected at 10 mbps but i can't load any pages. it only will do that when i give it a static ip address. otherwise i get the yellow triangle.
Thanks Jeramie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts