DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. has killed plans to put a V-8 engine in its future Lincoln flagship sedan.

The 4.4-liter V-8, a version of a Yamaha engine used in the Volvo XC90 crossover, was slated to power the Lincoln MKS beginning in 2008. Ford planned to produce the V-8 at its Lima, Ohio, plant. But in recent days, the company has canceled the program, supplier and industry sources say.

The V-8 appears to be a victim of new cost-cutting efforts by Ford, which says it needs to accelerate its Way Forward restructuring plan for North America.

"Lower-volume engine production is always higher cost," said Eric Fedewa, a powertrain analyst with CSM Worldwide in Northville, Mich.

Ford had planned to use the V-8 in other future products, including crossovers for the Ford and Lincoln brands. Annual engine volume was expected to approach 100,000.

Ford now will rely solely on its new 3.5-liter V-6 engine family to power the MKS, sources said. Ford's other V-8s are too large. The decision could prove to be a competitive challenge in a segment where most rivals offer a V-8.

The 3.5-liter V-6 is being added to the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedans, which share a platform with the MKS. Lincoln's smaller MKZ sedan also is using the 3.5-liter V-6 beginning this fall.

To set the bigger sedan apart, Ford will boost the output of the base V-6 for the MKS, sources said.

Ford spokeswoman Sara Tatchio said: "We have taken the step to differentiate the powertrain in the Lincoln MKZ, and we hope to do that for Lincolns moving forward."

Which kind of begs the question, why aren't they putting the V8 in the 500 to increase production numbers thereby making it more cost effective, instead of removing it from the market altogether. Ford Australia did a similar thing in 1982 when it dropped the V8 from it's line up, it paid the price for more than 15 years. The V8 was reintroduced in 1992.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Well, this can only be good news for the aftermarket supercharger people.......

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Wow, a big Lincoln powered by a V6? Can you say underpowered?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
IS300M said:
You conisder the ford 500 a big car?
Well I wouldn't know........only seen a couple of 500's on the road, and like I would go to the Ford dealer :moon2:

All I know is that my sis has a '94 Grand Marquis with the V8..........weak!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Red Star 1 said:
Well, were LS and Town Car underpowered?

3.5L will be more powerfull than V8s used in LS and Town Car. And that's just base engine.
I'm showing 280 horses and 286 lbs or torque for the 06 LS V-8. The 3.5 is slated to be roughly 260 horsepower 250 lbs of torque.

More powerful? Nope. Maybe more horses than the 4.6L used in the Panther cars, but not more torque.

I would have made the Montego Premier and the Lincoln both have the V-8 with the 6 speed attached to it, only with the Mercury having a detuned version. And redesign the Mercury interior instead of pulling the ole "switch some badges around" to justify the price of it.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
adaptabl said:
V8's are history in the auto industry. They need to put the money in better fuel saving engines.
Don't be so general.

V8's are history as far as family sedans go. They'll live on for a long time to come in the performance sedans and coupes. I don't even have to mention trucks and large SUVs. Show me a naturally aspirated V6 gasoline truck that can pull a 12,000lbs travel trailer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
I'm showing 280 horses and 286 lbs or torque for the 06 LS V-8. The 3.5 is slated to be roughly 260 horsepower 250 lbs of torque.

More powerful? Nope. Maybe more horses than the 4.6L used in the Panther cars, but not more torque.
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of early V8 in LS which had 252 hp.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Red Star 1 said:
Yeah, you're right. I was thinking of early V8 in LS which had 252 hp.
That's exactly the V8 I was thinking of as well. I didn't realize that the later LS's came with more powerful engines.

BUT is that my fault or Ford's? I'm a pretty avid car magazine reader and I didn't even know. Maybe that's why they can't sell any V8's.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It's not about the size of the engine, but rather the power to weight ratio. Why do you think the Porsche Carreras were so fast? Low weight in comparison to the power they were putting out with thier air cooled flat 6's. Also the Lotus Elise is a good example. The trend for smaller cars with smaller engines with more power has been going on for some years now and will continue. Look at the Neon SRT-4 and the Suburu WRX for example....

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
RJ said:
Don't be so general.

V8's are history as far as family sedans go. They'll live on for a long time to come in the performance sedans and coupes. I don't even have to mention trucks and large SUVs. Show me a naturally aspirated V6 gasoline truck that can pull a 12,000lbs travel trailer.
The cross plane crank V8 is on the way out, as it should be. V6s are more efficient. The 2gr-fse & VQ35HR both make 306hp, and the VQ does so without direct injection. Even GM's direct injection 3.6 V6 should make 300hp.
What does the northstar make? only 320hp

Big OTR trucks use BIG inline6s, something like 125mm bore X 150mm stroke=11 liters.

Although some earth moving equipment uses twin turbo flat plane crank V8 diesels.

·
Registered
510 Posts
RJ said:
I don't even have to mention trucks and large SUVs. Show me a naturally aspirated V6 gasoline truck that can pull a 12,000lbs travel trailer.

Yeah, one time i had to borrow my nieghbor's truck - regrettably it was an old ford 4x4. I'm cruising back over to my farm with it and man that thing was weak - pulled over, opened the hood, and thats when i seen it was a v6.

Dont like fords and all trucks should have at least 8s...

Sucked :brutal_42

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
MikeW said:
The cross plane crank V8 is on the way out, as it should be. V6s are more efficient. The 2gr-fse & VQ35HR both make 306hp, and the VQ does so without direct injection. Even GM's direct injection 3.6 V6 should make 300hp.
What does the northstar make? only 320hp

Big OTR trucks use BIG inline6s, something like 125mm bore X 150mm stroke=11 liters.

Although some earth moving equipment uses twin turbo flat plane crank V8 diesels.
Yes, I agree that anything up to about 350 hp on performance cars can be perfectly replaced by V6s, but the 500+ hp cars still demand V8+, i.e. Z06, AMGs, SRT8.

I guess you could design a well built V6 forced induction to make 500hp, but for most manufacturers it's more expensive and in some cases, heavier (an LS1 weights less than the E36 M3's 3.0 I6).

By trucks I was refering to pickup trucks. Yes, almost all big rigs use I6s (save for some old detroit V8 2 strokers). On a family pickup though, unless you're going with diesel, a V8 is more efficient than a big bore 6 cyl gas engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.