DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
Just received a flyer in the mail from my local Dodge dealer. Here are some choice quotes out of it...not taken out of context.

"Based on your Owner's Manual, at approx. 14 months, the checked services are recommended for your 2000 Dodge Intrepid." Comment...there is no 14 month service schedule.
It goes on to list after this statement that there are a bunch of (usual) inspections along with changing the oil...OK.
Down further in the "Service Menu," they have listed as one of the "Owner's Manual Recommended Service":
"Cooling System Service $55 Drain/Replace" then go on to say what they do. :mad: grrrr, they go to the effort of "customizing" this service report for me, yet think that I don't know that the Cooling System is supposed to last 100k miles. Think they've made an honest mistake???
Are these prices out of line?
Tire Rotation (no balance)...$25
Inspect Tie-Rod End and CV Boot Seals...$10
Brake Inspection (does include fluid level and hoses)...$25
Let's see...$60 for something that if they rotate the tires for $25 they can do with minimal effort...certainly not for an additional $35.
Here's the kicker...Engine Maintenance Tune-Up (granted it's not checked as an "Owner's Manual Recommended Service") $85. Read the fine print "Vehicles with Platinum Plugs (like I think all of ours in this group) and /or removal or parts to install will be higher." What on earth is this!!! Give me a break...Over $85 to change the spark plugs!!!

Why is it that Chrysler makes such great cars yet has these 5-Star dealers publish crap like this? I just shake my head and wonder where integrity has gone.
If I'm out of line, please let me know. It also has me wondering if other auto companies, specifically foreign (besides DCX), do this. I bet Daimler/Mercedes doesn't put out garbage like this.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
rich00es- I know ,dealers really give the company a bad rap.If you think those prices are out of line you should see what Honda or Toyota charges for these items. I have a buddy who is a mechanic for Honda and the prices he tells me they charge make your list sound cheap. But remember this is how the dealer makes money. They do not make it selling cars ,they make it in parts and service.

·
Registered
217 Posts
rich00es,

I just got the exact same thing in the mail for my 2000! My "featured Services" are:

Cooling system flush ....$99
Four Wheel alignment....$70
And my kicker:
30,000 mile maitanance?!? on a 2000???
.....$209 :eek:

Gotta love it. Oh yeah I have 13,700 on my 2000 now.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Got mine today too....promptly threw it out...

"Bring these coupons to save money on future service"

$29.95 for an oil change??? That's a bargain??? Hell, that's what they regularly charge at Jiffy Lube. F it, I'll change it myself! :D

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
DCX wonders why sales suck and loyalty is crummy? my parents love this car but now are the proud owners of a 2001 camry LE v6. arguably a better car, toyota, but hands down a better company.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
They bought a Toyota because the dealer was sending them a flyer? .What makes you think Toyota is a better company? A company is a company, they are all in it to make money. Do you go to work to make friends? no make money.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
let's rephrase this...

DCX's customer service is so bad that it drove away a potential repeat customer. every time that my car went in for service they told us other stuff that they "recommended" changing. when we told them that we had an extended warranty they suddenly reevaluated and found no problems (waterpump, alternator, and tie-rods).

the loaner car policy that they hyped up when we bought the extended coverage was a joke. when we bought it the whole idea was to get a free loaner when the car was in for scheduled maintenance. when that time came, they said that it didn't apply. the second time they said that part of the contract had been rewritten and they gave us like $50 cash.

they sent flyers to us every once in awhile, usually with the title-holder's name misspelled, advertising services that were ridiculous for normal driving circumstances while charging outrageous fees to do so.

my mother wrote a well-worded letter to DCX explaining all her beefs with them and received a form letter in return a few MONTHS later.

DCX's customer service dept is a smoldering turd located in germany somewhere

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well as far as changing the oil in my car. I got some kind of deal where I just pay $9.95usd for an oil change as long as my car is under warranty :eek: So I'm ok for a long while since I got a 100,000mile 6 year warranty. and it was only $600.00usd more at the time i bought my car...... :D

·
980 Posts
I use our dealer and find the prices very good, $22.00 for oil change on the ram ,have not taken the intrepid yet.They did wash the truck one time but of course three blocks away on the way home it rained.I will complain about making appointments to get in sometimes worse than an hmo doctor.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I just got one of them handy dandy flyers, and heres what it's got to say (since i got the new ride u would think they would change it) :mad:

Important services for your 1997 Dodge INtrepid vin # blah blah...

oh look, a radiator flush 44.95 (ACK!)
O2 sensor test, 29.95
Oil Change 20.95
belt inspection 1.95 (woowoo)
Inspect Cv/Tierods 1.95 (again, woowoo)
Brake inspections 19.95 tire rotation and balance 39.95

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
every dealer is different. I visit dealers everyday for my business and I cannot understand how some can stay around. Some of the shops are so bad that they laugh about ripping off people. I have a import car dealer that when they do axle boots they charge the customer for each part but they get axle boot kits all in one bag. The price is about $275.00 after listing all parts but the kit list out at only $78.00. This way the service writer makes more and so does the dealer. This also make the numbers look better for the service dept. So guys its not just the DC dealers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts