DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some info that might be useful for some.

I needed a replacement battery for my cell phone and ordered one online for local pickup from Batteries +. While I was in there waiting for them to bring the battery from the back....I was standing in front of a large display of key fobs with a sign that indicated they could cut keys and program the Fobs.

I inquired about the price and they indicated $45 for the key cut and programming if you supplied the key and fob. Not bad at all ! I asked if I had 2 fobs would the price double? Reply was no...still $45 ! This is so much cheaper than a dealer. I didn't inquire about the cost of buying a fob from them but I'd guess it's reasonably priced also. The ones I bought are myself are genuine OEM Mopar/Jeep fobs

My Jeep Grand Cherokee only came with one fob so I scrounged online and found a pair of new fobs with blank keys for $50. Add the programming fee and my total to get the 2 new key fobs programmed would be $95. Same services from the dealer would've been over $600 !!

If you need fob programming and have a Batteries + store locally......head on over and save some money. That assumes your car is drivable and you can get it over there.

Reactions: peva and Daytrepper

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,214 Posts
Good to know, I have the second fob for my Ram, it seems to have lost its programming. Tried new battery, etc; wonder if they could do it without the minimum hour charge at the DD....

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the type of Fob I have for the jeep. The key is inserted into the fob body.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Give them a call Dan. This is for Old Red? Worst they can say is so sorry!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
38,214 Posts
Give them a call Dan. This is for Old Red? Worst they can say is so sorry!
Hahaha, no, Old Red wouldnt know what to do with a fob. Thats more computer chips than he can handle. LOL.

Its for the 2013 Ram. The extra fob used to work, but when it was a company truck of mine we never used it. Battery died over the years and when I bought it from the company I tried a new battery and it wouldnt recognize the fob. Its pretty much brand new. I reckon it might could have just lost its programming from sitting so long with a dead battery.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot about the ex-work truck !

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
An update...finally got time today to get my replacement fobs programmed as shown below......

Finally got some time away from work to try and get my Jeep Key Fobs programmed. Got tired of setting off the alarm everytime I opened the door with the actual Key. After finding my only key fob in the washing machine I found it had died and none of the buttons worked. If you use the inside door lock button to lock the vehicle it automatically sets the factory alarm. The problem is when you unlock the vehicle with the actual key the alarm goes off. Apparently newer Mopars don't have a switch in the door lock cyliner mechanisms anymore to disable the alarm !! I verified it in my owners manual.

The Jeep has push button start and luckily the key fob still worked by pressing it on the "Start" button while pressing on the brake.

So off to the local Batteries + with two new fobs I go Hi-Ho! Counter person wasn't sure if he could program them. Indicated their chart showed model year 2013 as the latest for programming according to their computer. I asked if he could try and see if he could program them and if successful then cut the keys after. He agreed and about 15 minutes later I had two 100% working new fobs with keys cut for $45. That was $45 total for two key fobs not each! A super bargain! I bought the fobs from KeylessEntryRemoteInc for $47 each. So for less than $150, I got two new fobs cut/programmed. Better than the $400+ from the dealer.

All buttons work on the fobs including Lock/Unlock/Remote Start/Power Remote Liftgate. And the Proximity Keyless Entry works also. Just walk up to the Jeep and touch a door handle with the fob in your pocket and all the doors and Liftgate unlock. Woot!

Batteries +.....Highly recommended instead of an expensive trip to the dealer.

Reactions: tgs

·
Premium Member
17,791 Posts
Nice!

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And like my 300M Special...each fob has it's own settings for Seat Position/Steering Wheel Telescope/Radio/Easy Exit memory settings.

Well the 300M doesn't have a telescoping steering wheel adjustment but you get the idea of the memory functions.

·
Dain bramaged
7,289 Posts
I guess I'm spoiled, there's a local Jeep dealer here that programs fobs for free. They're highly active in the local jeep community and even holds Jeep events. They got the keyless working on my 2001 XJ.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're lucky. The rest of us have to pay $$$ !

Getting LH/WD/WK from 90's to 2008 is pretty easy to get done cheaply. The 2013+ model CDJ models with push button start, etc are harder to find someone that can actually do it at a reasonable cost.

I think the nice thing about Batteries + is they didn't charge me more for programming for supplying my own key fobs. Some other shops jack up the price if you don't buy the keys/fobs from them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts