DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a locking gas cap from Autozone work on the 2nd Gen cars? I only ask 'cause I live in Fayetteville/Spring Lake/Ft. Bragg amongst the thieves, and gas is now expensive enough for the news to be doing stories about fuel thieves....and unfortunately NC law does not allow you to shoot someone for stealing your property!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
its pretty hard to steal gas out of them, i tried to get some out of my dads car cuz its been sitting for so long with a full tank. I think thats more of a ghetto area problem or eastern europe LOL where they steal anything.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, my little neighbors on the other hand always pop off my gas cap which pisses me off, like they just open the flap and untwist it. I was getting error codes all the time and soon behold when i went to fill up i found out why. The best idea would be to have a locking flap like ALL japanese cars in the past (well up to recently for some reason, they are not cutting them out too). That would be a neat mod, the best one i saw so far is on the g35. IF the car is unlocked, you can just press the flap and then it pops open (kind of like those TV switch cover things), and then when you lock the car you cant press it to open anymore. Its more practical than the honda/toyota way of unlocking it from the inside since i always forget.

CM

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
$15 or so for locking gas caps from Advance Auto Parts.........my dad wants me to get him 2 when I go to Niagara Falls USA this weekend.

·
Registered
550 Posts
but something to keep in mind is that it "can" cause one of the evap code to come on. atleas so I hear.
Does anyone know if this is true? I lost my gas cap and bought a locking one and I do have the evap code I think 141. I also like the locking gas cap because someone put sugar and chocolate syrup in my tank in my first gen.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Does anyone know if this is true? I lost my gas cap and bought a locking one and I do have the evap code I think 141. I also like the locking gas cap because someone put sugar and chocolate syrup in my tank in my first gen.
I got one from WalMart back when I used to shop there for like 12 bucks. And no evap light came on. Everything works great. As well, I seem to get about triple the distance on one tank of gas. It's funny how long the gas started lasting once I put the lock on.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I got one from WalMart back when I used to shop there for like 12 bucks. And no evap light came on. Everything works great. As well, I seem to get about triple the distance on one tank of gas. It's funny how long the gas started lasting once I put the lock on.
I have code 441 but it comes and goes I just checked my codes today and it was 141 but thats a whole new issues I have only had that code once in the past and it just went away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Will a locking gas cap from Autozone work on the 2nd Gen cars? I only ask 'cause I live in Fayetteville/Spring Lake/Ft. Bragg amongst the thieves, and gas is now expensive enough for the news to be doing stories about fuel thieves....and unfortunately NC law does not allow you to shoot someone for stealing your property!

I left the area 11 months ago...........glad I'm in Georgia instead of Fayetteville, NC! Spent 2 years there and never felt comfortable. I have spent 8 years in Goldsboro, NC and I had a blast!!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
its pretty hard to steal gas out of them, i tried to get some out of my dads car cuz its been sitting for so long with a full tank. I think thats more of a ghetto area problem or eastern europe LOL where they steal anything.

I wouldnt worry too much about it, my little neighbors on the other hand always pop off my gas cap which pisses me off, like they just open the flap and untwist it. I was getting error codes all the time and soon behold when i went to fill up i found out why. The best idea would be to have a locking flap like ALL japanese cars in the past (well up to recently for some reason, they are not cutting them out too). That would be a neat mod, the best one i saw so far is on the g35. IF the car is unlocked, you can just press the flap and then it pops open (kind of like those TV switch cover things), and then when you lock the car you cant press it to open anymore. Its more practical than the honda/toyota way of unlocking it from the inside since i always forget.

CM
That G35 thing is really cool. Mercedes does it too. It's bad for me though because I get paranoid that I'm going to get robbed and lock my car while I'm putting in gas.. lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow no stuff! I'll give this a try. Gas prices these days are off the chart:banghead:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts