DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2004 Dodge Intrepid SXT has not been starting well for some time now. I try to start it and it goes over 5 to 10 cranks before turning over. It hasn't done this before and it was sitting for some time. I started driving it for a few months and it still does this. Before at idle the tach would move up and down, then stall. I had the throttle position sensor replaced and that fixed the isssue. However, the car still takes a long time to start and it will randomly stall while driving. I had the codes checked and some say camshaft position sensor or 02 sensor or other times voltage low. The battery light hasn't come on so I think the alternator is working and we charged the battery. We had the battery checked and Autozone said it was fine. I didn't start the car for a few days and the battery died again. I am begining to think the car has a parasitic draw, but I am unsure.

What do you guys think is going on? Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, recently I realized the tach would move up and down and I could hear the engine lowering the revs after driving for a while. I bought an aftermarket throttle position sensor from Autozone, but I think it is still working since I no longer have the problem of the car stalling at idle. Also, the car seems to be using more gas. The exhaust smells rich and when I put my hand behind the exhaust pipe my hand ends up smelling like gas. There isn't any white smoke only clear. So I don't know whats going on. It has been using more gas way before replacing the throttle position sensor. However replacing it seems to have improved the gas mileage a little bit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So my 2004 Dodge Intrepid SXT has not been starting well for some time now. I try to start it and it goes over 5 to 10 cranks before turning over. It hasn't done this before and it was sitting for some time. I started driving it for a few months and it still does this. Before at idle the tach would move up and down, then stall. I had the throttle position sensor replaced and that fixed the isssue. However, the car still takes a long time to start and it will randomly stall while driving. I had the codes checked and some say camshaft position sensor or 02 sensor or other times voltage low. The battery light hasn't come on so I think the alternator is working and we charged the battery. We had the battery checked and Autozone said it was fine. I didn't start the car for a few days and the battery died again. I am begining to think the car has a parasitic draw, but I am unsure.

What do you guys think is going on? Thanks!
Is the fuel pump kicking on when you first start the car? Try turning on it to the on position but don’t start it right away. Let the fuel pump prime a bit then try and start it.

·
Premium Member
18,389 Posts
Is the fuel pump kicking on when you first start the car? Try turning on it to the on position but don’t start it right away. Let the fuel pump prime a bit then try and start it.
Also, can you provide the exact code numbers? That way, we can look up the exact descriptions, which may provide additional clues - we need all tha help we can get. 👍

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the fuel pump is working. The codes that I got are these:
1.) O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
2.) P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
3.) P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
4.) P0562 Battery Voltage Low
5.) P1684 Battery Was Disconnected (Flag Only, Not A Fault

I had the codes checked a second time at another Autozone and only the P0562 code came on. I had a spare battery so I tried to use it and the battery drain problem wasn't a issue for a week then came back again. However, the car still had long starts. I tried to switch the battery again and it had no effect this time. I drove the car and when I came back to start it, I found that the battery was dead. I feel like the long starts are putting a heavy load on the battery. Hope the codes help.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yes the fuel pump is working. The codes that I got are these:
1.) O2 Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
2.) P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
3.) P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
4.) P0562 Battery Voltage Low
5.) P1684 Battery Was Disconnected (Flag Only, Not A Fault

I had the codes checked a second time at another Autozone and only the P0562 code came on. I had a spare battery so I tried to use it and the battery drain problem wasn't a issue for a week then came back again. However, the car still had long starts. I tried to switch the battery again and it had no effect this time. I drove the car and when I came back to start it, I found that the battery was dead. I feel like the long starts are putting a heavy load on the battery. Hope the codes help.
the O2 circuit is interesting.
it shows low voltage. I bet the wires have a short or have damage. Look at your wiring. it may explain the battery but it could have been a trunk light or something.focus on #1 first

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I will check that out. The trunk light for some reason doesn't work, but the bulb is still good. I think there was some power going to it, but it may not be enough to light the bulb. The last owner had a stereo system with a boom box in the trunk. So whenever I try to start the car I can hear a buzz or hum from the speakers which are aftermarket. However, the speakers at the back are stock and it looks like he spliced wires into them. I am thinking that may have something to do with it. I will check the wires of the 02 Sensor and I will remove some of the old boom box wiring as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts