DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at a 2002 300M with 165k miles. The car is in excellent cosmetic condition (a couple scuffs on the bumper, but no rust at all).. Everything works on the car except for the Auto Stick (which I've learned is either just a loose wire or the module through research).

The main issue with the car is the engine. There is a screeching/grinding/whining sound coming from the passenger front side of the engine. All that I can see over there accessory wise is the ac compressor, but it doesn't really sound like it is coming from that.. I tried putting a screwdriver to my ear and touching things, and the only things I could hear the noise through were the ac compressor and the camshaft cover near it..

What could be the possible cause of this noise? I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but this is the first Chrysler I have ever looked at..

Any other things I should be on the lookout for? The transmission seems to shift well (aside from one hiccup it had under close to WOT from a stop when I was pulling onto the highway and it shifted harshly)...

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
AC compressor, idler pulley... perhaps the waterpump? (right in the front center of the engine)

Watch out for:
Inner tie rod bushings
missed 100k service (timing belt/water pump)
leaky tires if on chrome rims.
dead ATC display (easy fix)
transmission issues
rusted heater core lines, under the drivers side of the engine going back.

meh.. all I can think of at the moment. Pretty solid cars!!

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
for a quick test, remove the drive belt for the accessories. If the noise stops, then it is belt driven. If the noise keeps going, you have internal engine damage/issues. Could be as simple as something stuck between the cam gear and the tin cover, or could be sever internal engine hardpart damage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for a quick test, remove the drive belt for the accessories. If the noise stops, then it is belt driven. If the noise keeps going, you have internal engine damage/issues. Could be as simple as something stuck between the cam gear and the tin cover, or could be sever internal engine hardpart damage.
I was actually planning to do that, but it doesn't look like a "quick" job on these cars..

·
15,449 Posts
Not a second gen person, so I don't know... but on the first gen cars, it isn't too bad. Loosen the bolt/nut at the center of the idler pulley (don't remove), and then turn the adjuster screw (lefty loosey, righty tighty) to loosen the belt.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,643 Posts
Just cut the belt and if it's not the problem give the guy $7 for a new one. A missing AC belt will be the least of his worries if the noise doesn't go away.

·
15,449 Posts
Just cut the belt and if it's not the problem give the guy $7 for a new one. A missing AC belt will be the least of his worries if the noise doesn't go away.
HAHAHAHAHAHAA ^^^^^ x10 there buddy!!!

I like your thinking Ron. I'm too 'nice' to do that to someone's car that I'm just test driving - but you've got a great point.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What would it indicate if the noise doesn't go away? This OHC stuff is completely foreign to me (I've always had cars with pushrod engines)..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up being a bad idler pulley on the ac belt, so the car is now in my garage. Going to go to auto zone tomorrow to get a new pulley and get it put back together. As soon as we got that belt off it purred like a kitten. Also, found a receipt stuck in the owners manual for a reman Chrysler tranny at 125k miles, and a new valve body under warranty at 142k..

Going to post up a thread as soon as I can get it cleaned up. Thanks again guys!!!

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Ended up being a bad idler pulley on the ac belt, so the car is now in my garage. Going to go to auto zone tomorrow to get a new pulley and get it put back together. As soon as we got that belt off it purred like a kitten. Also, found a receipt stuck in the owners manual for a reman Chrysler tranny at 125k miles, and a new valve body under warranty at 142k..

Going to post up a thread as soon as I can get it cleaned up. Thanks again guys!!!
Congrats!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried the search function but could not find avery good answer so I figured id ask here. How tight are the serpentine belts supposed to be when retightened?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
A guideline that some of us use is "no more than 3/8 inch deflection along the longest run of the belt".

Chrysler will be happy to sell you a tool, of course. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank ya! That's exactly what I needed to know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts