DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyways, looking for a laptop. I'm looking for a GOOD value laptop that I can use as a desktop replacement. Right now I'm HEAVILY leaning towards something with a Turion 64 chipset as I really want to run Windows 64.

I'm leaning towards an Acer Aspire 5002 (lousy video card) or an Acer Travelmate 4402 (more expensive and missing glossy screen).

Features I'm looking for:
Turion 64 chipset
DVD Burner
Decent video card
15.4" minimum screen (would prefer glossy)
512MB of RAM

I've priced these computers out and they come to $1150 CDN ($1000 US) and $1450 CDN ($1250 US) respectively.

Any advice anyone can give me?

The main software application I really want to run on Windows 64 is Autocad 2005. I do enjoy the occasional game or two though ;)

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
When i was looking for a laptop a few months back, Toshiba seemed to have a fairly good name, as well as Dell. I never bought one though so i have no personal experience to go by.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have used both Dells and Compaqs and been happy with both. Keep in mind that I am not running anything as intensive as AutoCAD, so I am not sure how they would handle that. But for everyday use and a little gaming, they have worked great.

Windows64? The last thing I read on W64 was that you had to have the latest Xeon, Itanium or Athlon 64 processor for it to work. Do new laptops come with that much juice? I have not looked at laptops in a while so I don't know. Also, I also remember reading how drivers were few and far between (expecially for dvd burners). Has that changed too?

I would suggest getting XP Pro and then upgrading to Longhorn when it comes out. At least that is designed for the consumer market and should have better driver support. Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
i have one but not as high teck as u would want. if i was u i would get something that will last u without messing up. durability

and get wifi built in

hp and apple are my fav. more bang for ur bucks

ALi

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Rob...... nothing but the best Ferrari laptop

If I had the money, it would be on my lap right now. Unfortunatly, spending $12,000 in the last month or so means I can't afford ****-all right now (damn student living).

Check out NCIX for pricing. You don't have to pay PST, and shipping is generally cheap and quick. Returning a product is also rather easy. There are also several other vancouver based computer stores where you can get a deal. Don't be afraid to shop online.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
TJ said:
I have used both Dells and Compaqs and been happy with both. Keep in mind that I am not running anything as intensive as AutoCAD, so I am not sure how they would handle that.
AutoCAD isn't bad. Virtually all laptops in the price range Rob is talking about should handle AutoCAD with little effort. It's when you start running CATIA V5 and ANSYS that you start seeing delays (hence why I want the Ferrari laptop).

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, the Ferrari is nice.......but I don't like Ferrari's :p I was looking at the Ferrari 4005 model, $1800 or something like that.

Thank you for the Canadian web link to save PST......8%!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Dells should be able to run AutoCAD flawlessly. My old high school (i graduated in june, so i get to say that now :p), ran AutoCAD software on Dell desktops for computer courses, like Computer Design and Architecture Design, and there was no delay. I don't remember what year AutoCAD it was, I had both of the aformentioned courses in my Junior year, which was right after the school bought mass Dell desktops. Now bear in mind, these are school computers... High School Computers... Public High School Computers... so they are by no means top-of-the-line, just P4, XP Home, and a small amount of memory. That's about it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
www.overstock.com

Take your pick.

You *might* want to replace the hard drive on refurb'd machines with something newer/faster.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Now I feel old. I started using AutoCAD back in '93. I haven't found a computer yet (except my old 386 SX) that couldn't run it, but then again, the SX (for those that don't know) didn't have a "math co-processor".

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to try to stay away from Dell as they only use Intel chips, and I would really like to run Windows 64 if possible.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Just about anything out there will run AutoCrap.

I had a nice IBM for a while but the 4Mb non-upgradable Vcard crippled me on higher end stuff. A Compaq presario replaced it very well (4-64Mb variable) but durability was poor. Had cracks in the case within a few months. Awesome JBL sound though. For durability the Panasonic tough book is the bomb.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Ok as for laptops, I would have to say Dell is the best. If your gonna carry your laptop every day, your gonna want to get a warranty, Dell's complete care for example is top notch.

Last sunday my computer started to act up, wouldnt power on sometimes. I determined it to be the mobo myself, but I called up Dell warranty and talked to them about my problem, and they agreed that it sounded like a mother board, they agreed to replace it. So they made an appt with me to have the technician come to my house on wednesday. Monday afternoon comes along and I get a telephone call from the technician, saying that the parts came moday around noon, and he would be able to install it on tuesday. Tuesday morning at 10am the technician knocked on my door, and by 11:15 he was done and the computer was working correctly. All at no cost.

if you do go dell, check out their coupons: http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm

you can usually find $600 off $1499 or $750 off $1899 on laptops

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
IS300M said:
you can usually find $600 off $1499 or $750 off $1899 on laptops
thats how i got my $2300 Inspiron 9300 for around $1520 after taxes, but that was with discounts provided by Dell during a back to school promotion, as well as an employee discount my dad gets since his office always buys Dells.

But they still don't offer the 64bit tech that Avenger is looking for, unfortunately :badcomp:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
IS300M said:
Last sunday my computer started to act up, wouldnt power on sometimes. I determined it to be the mobo myself, but I called up Dell warranty and talked to them about my problem, and they agreed that it sounded like a mother board, they agreed to replace it. So they made an appt with me to have the technician come to my house on wednesday. Monday afternoon comes along and I get a telephone call from the technician, saying that the parts came moday around noon, and he would be able to install it on tuesday. Tuesday morning at 10am the technician knocked on my door, and by 11:15 he was done and the computer was working correctly. All at no cost.
I purchased a computer from a store 5 years ago I believe. One month after the 3-year warranty was up, the mobo died. So I chose to assemble a new computer myself (I've been doing it since '93 so I'm comfortable inside a computer). Let's hope this one lasts twice as long.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well.......the ONLY way I'll be convinced into buying an Intel chip is if it's a reasonably priced (sub $1500) laptop with a 17" screen.

Hmmm, with that 40% off coupon, I pimped out an Inspiron 9300......came to $2800 minus 40%.......$1600US.

Not bad IMO, but I don't feel like trying to smuggle a laptop across the border :(

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OKOK.......so I've been looking a bit more.......question is......is the Centrino 760 worth $100 more than the 750 or for that matter, is the 750 worth $100 more than the 740? How about the video card? Is the Geforce 256MB worth $100 more than the X300 128MB?

Let me know what you guys think about this configuration?

Inspiron 9300 Qty 1
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 Unit Price $2,320.00
Dell Home Customers
LIMITED TIME OFFER! Remove Coupon
- $750.00

Catalog Number: 29
Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 9300 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Display 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm
Video Card 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800
Hard Drive 80GB Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD/DVD Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Productivity Software No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Security Software No Security Subscription
Digital Music Musicmatch® Jukebox Basic
Primary Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options No Extended Service, Support or Ltd Warranty
Internet Access: Dial-Up 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Digital Imaging Photo Album™ SE Basic
LCD/Color Kits Carbon Fiber QuickSnap™ Cover
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support
Financial Software No QuickBooks package selected - includes limited use trial

ACCESSORIES
Action II Backpack XL Qty 1
Unit Price $40.00

TOTAL:$1,610.00

Thanks,
Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts