DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Dodge Intrepid that drains the battery over night. I've identified the 2 circuits that appear to be the source of the issue and am looking for any tips before I start delving into it. So, I disconnected the negative cable from the battery and hooked up my multimeter between the negative cable and the negative battery post. It's measuring about 3500 milliamps. According to my reading so far, normal draw should be somewhere between 50 - 25 milliamps so I'm aiming to get it down to that level. Here's what I found:

600 milliamps - lightbulb under the hood. (piece of cake, already fixed)
1100 milliamps - "interior Lamps" circuit (10amp fuse#13 in junction box left of dash)
1600 milliamps - Drawn from Engine Controlr (20amp fuse in Power distrobution Center)

The lightbulb was an obvious fix, and I'm going to use a schematic from the haynes manual (pg12-20) to fix the interior lamp drain.

I'm mainly looking for suggestions on the Engine Controller drain. I read that the ECM may draw amps for 20 minutes after turning on so I left my multimeter hooked up for 25 minutes before it went into powersaving mode and the car continued to draw 3500 the whole time. I wasn't able to find a schematic for this circuit. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this. Is there just the ECM on this circuit or are there other things to be concerned with?

Appreciate any thoughts!

·
Woober Goobers!
51,030 Posts
TCM and PCM are run off the same power circuit.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Leave you meter hooked up, and go pull fuses one at a time (put them back right away) and see what circuit makes the draw go away.

Also, look for the factory service manuals on the board here.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I guess at this point I'm looking for a schematic of the circuit that is feed by the Engine Controller fuse. It's the big 20amp fuse in the "Power Distribution Center" box (second 20amp fuse down on the left-hand column).

I can't seem to find this particular circuit in either the Haynes manual or the FSM. Maybe I'm just overlooking it somehow.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,030 Posts
Maybe these will help...from the 1994 FSM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, fuse B... that's what I've been looking for. Thanks Ronbo, I'll get back to working on it Monday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starting to wonder if the FSM I downloaded is missing the Schematics. I see references to Section "8W Wiring Diagrams" but can't seem to find any schematics within the PDF. Do you have a different PDF? or Page# where you found those schematics?

I have the FSM linked to on the first post in thread# 136786

1 - 12 of 12 Posts