DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a link to the TRANSAXLE manual or photos/exploded part diagram. I've got the general LHS_manual.pdf and its too general. I'm putting a shift kit in which comes with all replacement seals, new filter and fluid as well. What I need to know is if I need any special tools for the valve body/solenoid pack. I've got to get an 18mm wrench for the torque converter, I have a decent amount of tools, just not so much metric stuff outside this:
small wrenches (4mm - 22mm)
sockets (deep and shallow 4.5mm - 18mm)
hex (2mm-10mm)

I don't have torx or any **** like that, will I need a torx set? Will a C-clip puller be handy? I've rebuilt transmissions before, just not any automatics, metrics or electronic and the 42LE is all three lmao.

I've TRIED to search on here for the manual but I'm only running into removal and gearcase stuff. Theres nothing in the how-to's, FAQ, links in any removal topics...NOTHING! Please help me ASAP, the tranny is needing a lot of RPM in drive to shift and its still taking several seconds to finally engage, she is going to DIE very soon, rebuilding tomorrow with or without help. :gross_07:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The valve body/solenoid pack is NOT 'user serviceable', too many fine tolerances, etc, etc. Just bite the bullet and get a factory reman'd unit if you think it's necessary.

Has your tranny every been serviced? Flush, fluid, and filter?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I need torx for the filter don't I? :cool: Eh, its about time I got a set anyways, along with a stupid weird ass 18mm wrench to match my 13 and 15mm stuff that only Dodge seems to use.

The valve body/solenoid pack is NOT 'user serviceable', too many fine tolerances, etc, etc. Just bite the bullet and get a factory reman'd unit if you think it's necessary.

Has your tranny every been serviced? Flush, fluid, and filter?
What are you saying about the solenoid pack? Its not serviceable or its not serviceable by ME? BTW, I'm not a 'user' -I've built things people only dream about. I don't know what you mean by "too many fine tolerances, etc, etc" This doesn't help me. Accumilator pistons and valve body can be removed and seals replaced, thats what I'm doing along with shift spacers and a new input shaft seal (requires transmission removal) I believe that seal is almost completely destroyed or the piston around it is damaged. Please reread my post, and assume I can successfully tear down a transmission I've never seen inside of the first time and have it race ready within a day. Now I'm looking for information far, far, far beyond "get a factory reman'd and pay a dealership to 'service' it" Please HELP me and don't patronize me, I'm asking for exploded diag. and if I need torx (I think I do for the filter?)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
transaxle manual doesn't exist

LOL, ok I'll lay off the caffeine, ALLPAR doesn't have much info on the tranny, just a FYI if someone searches and gets this post.
http://dvms.dvusd.org/02lhe/ link to the service manual, there is no "transaxle manual" its all in the service manual which is found here http://dvms.dvusd.org/02lhe/

It would be nice if that link was in the first generation how-to's, the cars are so much alike, even redesigned parts are very close and it would still greatly benefit ppl trying to search through this site! Time for me to get to work :bgtup: :icon16:

who is this steve clark guy? I owe him a case of beer

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Same tranny,1st and 2nd Gen...

·
Registered
639 Posts
I installed a shift kit in my 42LE tranny and I didn't need to mess with the torque converter. The shift kit came with new solenoid seals and brass caps. There are no issues with tolerances and such when dissasembling the solenoid pack and it is pretty straight forward if you know what you are doing. If you have limited skills on dealing with parts that consist of a thousand little pieces you will do just fine with the valve body. If not, then pass on this job. It requires patience and some skill, plus a set of torx bits and a couple of torque wrenches of various sizes (inch lbs and ft lbs). My kit also included replacement accumulator pistons and piston sleeves/seals. I had to order a few extra to replace them all since the kit only included one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts