DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Father's Day all, I was wondering if anybody had two i530's for sale. The Mrs. and I are looking to switch to Nextel for the 2-way. I will try ebay but I've been burned there before, so I thought I'd try here before that. We are looking to spen around $50/phone, it really doesn't have to be that one if there are others that are "tough". But anyways...

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
I mod Nextel/Boost Mobile phones as a side business. The i530 is a great phone for durability but I would not recommend it at all. The calls do not come as crisp as they should (after some time of use), and the Direct Connect buttons usually wear out after time (on the board itself). The design of the phone is not that great that's why it sucks. The phone's board is not that great either from a hardware perspective. I would recommend an i710, i730 or an old i95cl as good durable phones. I would try to sell you some of mine but all I have is parts for these phones. I currently have 2 i870's and 2 i930's. Nothing that you want and they are not as durable as the 3 I have stated above and the three of those phones have very minimal problems with them. These phones go for no less then 250 to 350 each. I hope this helps, please feel free to ask me any more questions you might have with Nextel/Boost Phones.

EDIT: You can also find these phones for less then $100 each, and they have great features and don't worry about mods. I will do them for free and will teach you Ringtones/App Installation since you are a Trep Owner! :)

Dave :evilking:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I told my wife we'd start with something cheap, right now we can't afford anything really expensive. If you'd prefer to take payments or something that would be awesome, if not I understand. We are completely new to Nextel, I've always had Verizon. But my Father and I are really into walkie-talkies and cb's, so I figured this would be great. We'll be moving to the Lancaster area in a year or two as well, so it'll be a great way to talk to my dad.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
xusmarine1979 said:
I told my wife we'd start with something cheap, right now we can't afford anything really expensive. If you'd prefer to take payments or something that would be awesome, if not I understand. We are completely new to Nextel, I've always had Verizon. But my Father and I are really into walkie-talkies and cb's, so I figured this would be great. We'll be moving to the Lancaster area in a year or two as well, so it'll be a great way to talk to my dad.

lancaster PA?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Sir, Ohio. Just south of Columbus.

Hey Dave, how much would you want for the i870's?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, if I got the i530's would you be able to mod them for me? And what mods would you be able to do? I know that I would be interested in the telescopic antenna x2 and a headset for myself.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
xusmarine1979 said:
Actually, if I got the i530's would you be able to mod them for me? And what mods would you be able to do? I know that I would be interested in the telescopic antenna x2 and a headset for myself.

310 a piece for the i870's. They are HEAVILY modded. No, I will not do payments and I do not recommend this as a first phone for Nextel service. It's very complicated and has too many features. Some maybe more then you are looking for. These are not for sale at the moment. I believe my brother is going to be switching to Nextel so, he and my sis-in-law will get them if they do. I could do an increased reception mod, really dosen't do much for the i530 and ringtones. There is not many hardware mods or actually cosmetic mods for it. I would not recommend the telescopic antenna. It may seem like it would increase reception but it actually reduces it. OEM antenna is the way to go. Why would you want a headset when you have speakerphone?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At times while on duty I would need two free hands. Other than that I pretty much just want something for the "walkie-talkie" features. I'm not too worried about anything else. Where would I find one of the oem antenna?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Never mind, just found them on ebay. Are they easy to replace for the i530? I don't mean to bug ya with all of this but I just want to make this worth my while.

A fellow officer in Sacramento sold me an i530 last nite for $10 + shipping. He upgraded to another one and hasn't used it in a while. He told me the only thing he has noticed with it is that it would shut itself off after a while, and I did some google searches for the phone and noticed he isn't the only one. Do you know anything about that?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anybody have a link or site that gives the current Nextel/Sprint tower locations? I'm trying to Google it and the only one I've found doesn't seem to be up to date...

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Hey Jon,

Sorry about not replying sooner. Had DSL issues at home. Ok, the OEM antenna are easy to install. Just unscrew and screw in the new one. It comes with an OEM antenna, but just check that the antenna is going in a metal hollow tube in the back of the phone. You can check by popping off the battery cover on the back. You got a great deal on the phone. Some issues that I can think of with the problem with it shutting off randomly is, the battery could be old or not a Motorola battery, the metal tips on the battery are not touching the metal tabs that are on the board of the phone at all times. Leaving the phone on all the time, is not good for the phone either. It is suggested to be power cycled (Turned off and let it sit for 5 min, then turn it back on) every 8-10 hours. This helps reset/refresh the phone and helps it find the needed tower signals that are in the current area you are with the phone. The only other thing I can think is that he might of or had someone screw around with the CP/codeplug (the internal harddrive of the phone) and tried to do something he had no idea about. If you still have contact with him ask him if he did anything with the program Carrier RSS or messed around with the codeplug. As for a website with current tower locations, give me a few days and let me see what I can dig up. Hope this helps sir.

P.S. Where is Louisville, Ohio. Can you relate it's location to Columbus. Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No prob with the DSL. Actually, you wouldn't happen to have yahoo/sbc dsl would ya? My wife called me here at work and told me ours went down. But anyways, we're just east of Canton. Near WV and PA.

P.S. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Jon,

Well, I could not find actual tower locations in the Ohio or National locations. All, I could do is get the coverage map for Ohio (Which you prob. have already seen) You can find it here :http://www.nextel.com/cgi-bin/localMarketMap.cgi?zip=43229. Also, when you said that you wanted a headset, so you can have two hands-free. Well that, is only good for actual phone calls made, not D.C. (Direct Conncet) conversations. You still have to push a button on the handsfree cord to use D.C., but it will direct the sound into the earbud of the headset and not the external speaker of the phone.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Patel.748 said:
Jon,

Well, I could not find actual tower locations in the Ohio or National locations. All, I could do is get the coverage map for Ohio (Which you prob. have already seen) You can find it here :http://www.nextel.com/cgi-bin/localMarketMap.cgi?zip=43229. Also, when you said that you wanted a headset, so you can have two hands-free. Well that, is only good for actual phone calls made, not D.C. (Direct Conncet) conversations. You still have to push a button on the handsfree cord to use D.C., but it will direct the sound into the earbud of the headset and not the external speaker of the phone.

Ok, that's what I figured with the walkie-talkie feature. I found the FCC's database and we should have great coverage in our area. Thanks again for the help Dave.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Dave, just another quick question for ya. I believe you told me earlier that the OEM is the best antenna for the i530. I think I saw something like that on ebay but is was a metal one. Would that be the same?

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Jon,

Please send me a link of the site. Some metal antenna's are better then OEM and some are worse I need to see it to determine it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Crap, I don't even know how to do that. Hang on for a few, I'm gonna check somethin.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry about that, it's item #200002045322. It has a button on the side and it looks like that's what releases it. If you aren't familiar with it, what antenna would you recomend?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kewl, thanks again for the help Dave.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts