DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my husband is trying to tune up my 2002 chrysler intrepid, but is unable to fine the spark plugs, and he is having difficulty getting access to where it is..
can you please let me know so I can let my husband know, where the spark plugs are and what screws must be removed to get there.. if there is a photo that would help even more.. I did review some other threads regarding this and someone did mention a downloadable manual ??? btw engine size I believe is a 3.5...

my husband is very mechanically inclined but when he popped the hood, and then removed all or most of the screws the darn thing still would not lift up... so he is very frustrated, he wanted to buy a repair book but having looked online they charge 50 bucks... all I need or sorry he needs is a photo or description of the engine..

thank you so much..

wifey

·
Registered
566 Posts
Under the coilpacks, square things on both sides of the big plastic plenum that says 24 valve, 3.5 liter. A torx bit to remove the two screws on each pack, remove the plug with 2 wires, then pull the ignition coil up and use a 12" ratchet extension with your socket. Easiest spark plug change your likely to do.

EDIT: brainfart :doh:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Please do not remove your injectors !!

The items that Windowpane is referring to are your coilpacks. These engines don't use conventional spark plug wires. Each plug has it's own coilpack. Other than that his procedure is correct. It probably will be the easiest plug swap ever.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Well those aren't the fuel injectors, they're the ignition coils, but pretty much what windowpane said.

EDIT: CDN R/T beat me to it!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for your quick reply..

well I went home for lunch to tell my husband all the wonderful information I got from this forum..but my husband wanted to know is how you get in there to find the spark plugs.. he said I was asking the wrong question..
so as per hubby -

he needs to "remove" the "spark plugs" how does one get to them when I read the thread, he was quite shocked when I said that they each plug has it's own coilpack..
I am assuming that the big plastic plenum that says 24 valve, 3.5 liter needs to be removed, and that is what he having a hard time removing.. all the bolts were removed but looks like and felt like it was still attached at the back somewhere..I sure once this gets removed then all would be smooth sailing right???

I did find and did download the manual at home, and found the page for "spark plug tubes" removal and installation, but he says that is the "tubes" and it is not what he is looking for should be "spark plug removal and installation"... ??

So sorry for being such a pest.. but the dealer said it would cost me about $300 to get all this done, and hubby just bought the parts from Napa for $100 so I would rather he do it... but I would like the process to be stress free.. so thats why I'm here, he can do the work and I can gather the info for him.. sounds fair to me.. lol

step by step directions or even a photo would be ideal..

thank you so much..

Wifey
:p

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You don't need to remove the plenum...
carefully tighten it back down using the procedure in the manual pg9-161.

In the manual pg 8i-7 and 8i-8 describes removal and replacement of the plugs.
There are no pictorials but after the coilpack is removed just slide the socket/extension down into the tube, the plug is accessible.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I honestly have not replaced my plugs as of yet, but you do not need to remove the entire plastic peice... If you look at the engine, you will see three little black square things on each side lined up (coil packs). From what I understand (and someone please correct me if i'm wrong), you simploy remove those and the plugs are right below them...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Mopar Dewd said:
I honestly have not replaced my plugs as of yet, but you do not need to remove the entire plastic peice... If you look at the engine, you will see three little black square things on each side lined up (coil packs). From what I understand (and someone please correct me if i'm wrong), you simploy remove those and the plugs are right below them...
Thats totally correct. Each coilpack is held on with two torx screws and the plugs are directly below them. You need a long extension because they are pretty deep.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i bet he's a good cook too. does he take the wrapper off the hotdogs before he puts on the the gril?....

:smilie_ko

taking of the upper intake plenum to reach the plugs....lol.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok... well I just gave him you're response and I am so grateful when I mentioned just removing the coil pack I heard a sigh of relief.. which I am assuming this means its easier then he expected.

thank you all so much.. this is great, I will be posting a pic of my 02 intrepid soon..

wifey

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
buffalo r/t said:
taking of the upper intake plenum to reach the plugs....lol.....
You have to on the Cirrus. One of my engineers just paid $300+ labour to change six plugs.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Lol... I make that joke with these guys all the time. "What the hell do I need all these engineers for ? We don't even have any trains !!"

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
On 3.5 engines the two torx screws of each coil should be loosened equally. There is a plastic spacer on each screw under the coils. After you unplug the connector and back the screws out 'till they're out of the head, do not pull the screws out of the coils,they will hold on to the spacers that you don't want to lose as you pull the coil up by twisting back and forth as you pull it up. You must use anti-sieze compound on the spark plug threads, I also put some on the torx screws. When installing the new plugs it is important that the engine is cold. Torque specs for the plugs is 20 ft/lbs. or 240 in/lbs. When re-installing the coils, screw the torx screws down at the same time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YOU GUYS ROCK... spark plug change went smooth.. learned alot too.. he said hell yeah that was the easiest spark plug change.. he just thought it wouldn't be so obvious with it being right in front of him.. but just wanted to say a big thank you to all..

wifey

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
ITrep96 said:
Is that the 6 cylinder Cirrus?
Yeah it was...

I haven't even seen my plugs yet. According to my records the plugs were changed out Apr.'05. Should be a while before I need to look at them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts