DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back of my drivers seat can be moved back and forth about 1"... I don't remember any play in there before but not sure that I checked... just wondering is this normal?

Patrick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Loose seat too

I have the same thing happening. The only specifics that I can give is...I have power driver's seat. Anyone else experiencing this?

-J

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
saw that but

Yes I did see that but I took

"Power Seat - Moves Fore and Aft Slightly When Driving"

to mean the hole seat moving not just the seat back. Actually both of them seem to move a little... just the drivers side seems to have more play.

Anyway have an appointment for Monday...

Patrick

·
Registered
602 Posts
Glad this came up. I didn't really want to bring it up seeming like I'm bitching too much about my 2002. I'm not trying to. I've only got like 5800 miles, haven't driven it that much and this is another thing.

I have a power bucket seat (driver side) as well and it seems to move about a quarter of an inch to half an inch when you get a hard kickdown and the torque throws you back in the seat it sometimes feels like it's moving or it moves (entire seat). Didn't think I broke it, I'm not like a huge guy or anything, I'm 5'10, 190 pounds.

hmmmm, yeah I have heard that there are TSB's for this but I do not think for 2002. I'm screwed once again. I'm having several similar issues to TSB's for previous years but the service department and Chrysler will only acknowledge TSB's for 2002.

hmmmm, guess I got to wait for it to break or a bunch of people to complain for the service department to do something about this too........

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lot of problems

Not sure why you are such an Intrepid fan... you seem to have a million and one problems both with your 1999 and 2002 models. I am beginning to have a bad feeling about the quality of this car. Just hope mine holds together for the next few years. I didn't really plan on keeping it more than 5 so hopefully it will be okay.

BTW my last car a 1994 Probe GT had no and I mean zero problems through 69K miles. The first non routine maintenance thing was a oxygen sensor... in 97K mile I put that oxygen sensor and a CV joint.... that's it no trips to the dealer for anything.

I wonder if anyone out there with an Intrepid can claim such a clean bill of health?

Oh well count my blessing the only problems so far for me is the seat.. but I also notice that the windows seem to go up for a little too long making a crunching noise. My transmission seems to make a funny whining noise on the highway and I do notice a slight cluncking noise when taking a hard right into my driveway. Will be keeping my fingers crossed...

Anyway good luck with your 2002... you know the seat is probably a carry forward issue don't know why they won't fix it.

Patrick

·
Registered
602 Posts
Tell me about it..........! Well I'm a Mopar fan and I like the looks, size and comfort of the Intrepid. I will admit I am quickly starting to loose faith. DaimlerChrysler and their dealers play stupid and I'm sick of it. I probably should have purchased a new Ford Taurus, I'm sure they have their problems too though but I can't imagine all these issues. My parents had a Ford Contour and put about 69K on it. Never had any problems with it. My parents currently own a 99 Anniversery Edition Mustang GT and my dad drives it hard and is lazy and doesn't maintain it like he should. He has over 60K and it's running strong. He's been laughin' at me. Can't help but feel kind of stupid.

I don't mean to ***** or complain, I hate doing it cause I do like these cars otherwise, just hate these issues.

My 2002 tranny made a whining noise I noticed after I took it home bought it, slams into gear when punching the gas to get onto the freeway then let off. It has hesitated or bumped at times. I feel stupid for not taking it on a more extensive test drive but I couldn't imagine these issues with a 2002.

Just several days after owning it my drivers side door was seriously out of alignment. Probably one of the only things they fixed.

I'm can't even go into all the issues I experienced. Most of everything I have been told by the dealer to wait till' it get's worse or fails. If it's not completely broken they don't want to fix it. It's like they are in disbelief that a 2002 vehicle that's been barely driven can have any problems.

The 99ES I purchased used (still under factory warranty) but I figured a 2002 should be cool.

Yeah, I'd like to see a second gen Intrepid that's in good shape that truely never had any serious problems or failure with 100,000 miles or more. I have a feeling there aren't many.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't know

Yeah I have seen a lot of I have xxx miles and still going strong... but I wonder how many repairs it took to get to xxx miles... Mine doesn't seem to have anywhere near the problems you have experienced but who knows what's in store for me.

I too like the way it looks and the way it drives. I would consider it to be a performance car at all. The acceleration even with a 3.2 is somewhat sluggish. The handling is pretty good for a big car but it doesn't compare to a sports car. I am somewhat surprised to see all the posts about modifications for speed. If my interest was in going fast I would by a 2002 Camaro SS. That's already fast with no mods... start doing mods and you'll be driving a rocket ship ;)

Take care

Patrick

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't know about you guys but if tell the dealer something is wrong they "HAVE" to fix it. Its not a "if they feel like it thing". NEVER forget that the warranty is part of what you PAID for when you bought the car. It wasn't & isn't free. Its included in the price. If the dealer ever gives you grief about a problem the magical words "what is the manufacturer reps name" will fix them. You can take any problems you have to the Manufacturers Rep & he has to deal with it!! The only thing I can say is that here in the Wash DC area there are tons of Dodge dealers. If you don't like one give your business to someone else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mistype

Sorry I definitely "wouldn't" consider it to be a performance car... makes a lot of noise but doesn't go too fast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
agree

You bring your car in for service under warranty and the dealer fixes it for free ... but the dealer is getting paid by DC. They love to fix cars it's more business for them. So I would agree with redblurr from my experience a dealer will fix anything and everything... never had a problem ... owned a new Ford and a new Chevy ...

Bringing the Intrepid in on Monday... I have a feeling fixing the seat won't be a problem but the whining transmission I am sure they will say the sound is normal... but I'll let you know. (I really just want it on record that I complained about the transmission while it's under warranty which might give me some leverage if it fails after 36K)

Patrick

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, the 3.2L with the 3.66 gearing is probably pretty sluggish off the line. My 99ES had nice tranny kickdowns that will let you move at times although it was sluggish off the line. It actually seemed quicker off the line after my tranny was overhauled, honestly. The 2000's with 3.89's are quicker off the line. My 2.7L is actually pretty fast off the line then you hit about 40MPH and it all goes to hell, starts becomming sluggish until 60MPH.

Yeah, the next closest seemingly decent dealer is about 30 miles away from my job. Hopefully they have loaner cars.

It almost seems as if these mechanics are inexperienced or intimidated, you'd think they'd want to correct your problems so they get paid. The thing I am mainly having a problem with is that they act so stupid and are non receptive. This has been my experience with two fairly large reputable dealers.

For example, the shop foreman couldn't duplicate any of my steering issues. It seems like they can rarely duplicate anything. I duplicated squeaking and clunking several times in a parking lot. He would not acknowledge the squeaking trying to blame it on my tires hitting the painted parking space lines on the asphault. He acknowledged the clunking but flat out told me he didn't know what he could do because it seems fine from visual inspection.

They just leave you hanging and I'm tired of it. I agree, I'm going to keep trying and get this taken care of. I have talked to DaimlerChrysler several times, they keep telling me the district service manager will be contacting me soon. Nothing ever happens.

I remember with my 99ES, my engine Oil was dissapearing and my engine would intermittently idle rough "Sir, your engine is fine." It soon after blew up......., Transmission slamming into gear, bumping and hesitation, "Sir, your transmission is fine, it soon later failed". I brought my 99 in about 6 times for steering issues, "Sir, your steering is fine" until it failed and I wrecked.

Pretty frustrating........

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Okay, if you want a sports car, get a sports car. Stop expecting the Intrepid to be something it isn't.

Does it handle as good or better than other cars IN ITS PRICE AND SIZE CLASS? Yes.

Does it have more problems than other cars IN ITS PRICE AND SIZE class? No. Show me a Ford or GM forum where people don't have minor issues with their cars.

Have I had any of the problems you guys have had? No.

Do I expect to have those problems or other ones based on a handful of other people's experiences? No.

No disrespect to anyone, just bringing the thread back to reality a little.

P.S. Don't forget, there are crooked dealers for every brand.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You definately stated the obvious. The Intrepid performs pretty well though, definately not the fastest car off the line. I almost bought and would have bought an R/T or a Mustang GT if speed was the main thing I was worried about.

Don't mean to offend anyone, I am a little frustrated. Sure, I'd feel just like you if I didn't have all these problems after just getting out of a problematic Intrepid. 5,800 miles and I am having several different issues, not just small things. I have been pretty much ignoring the small things not wanting to complain so much so it's not so overwhelming. I'm sure you guys that don't have problems are sick of hearing this stuff, but that's reality too unfortuantely.

From a dealer's warranty chart I have seen Honda's were the lowest as far as percetange that needed repairs, Dodge Intrepids were extremely high, one of the highest. Unfortunately I decided that it was probably not accurate and didn't believe it having pretty decent luck with my 1995 Intrepid. After purchasing my 1999ES I browsed the NHTSA website and found a lot of pretty scary issues in regard to these cars. I was concerned but decided to forget about it thinking that it only happens to a select few. Well, I almost lost my life due to a steering failure in my 1999ES. I figured it was just that car and now I'm having squeaking, clunking and looseness with my new 2002. I couldn't even imagine this and think it's ridiculous. I only speak of what I experienced and I'm sorry if anyone takes it as complaining or bitching, I try to be cool about it. I still like these cars, hell I'll love mine after it's issues get fixed, hopefully.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are being too defensive .... these cars have their good points and bad.. don't see why anyone who discusses the bad ones will be attacked.

Patrick

·
Registered
890 Posts
165,000 Miles here

transimission replaced because it was my fault.
and the oxygen sensors replaced.

And you said dodge intrepids arent reliable:eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My 95 Intrepid was rock-solid. 178K miles, no tranny work ever done.

I'm sorry, pbrannigan, but when the forum has people like adaptabl who no longer own Intrepids and only come on here when they have something negative to say about the Intrepid, I do get defensive.

To be sure, every car has good and bad attributes.

If Honda came out with a car that was as beautiful to me and as roomy as my Intrepid, I'd buy it. The same goes for any other manufacturer.

If Honda made such radically different and mold-breaking cars at the pace that Chrysler/Dodge does, do you think they would have the same "perfect" reputation? I doubt it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: agree

When you go to the dealer for the tranny problem tell them you would be happy to ride in any of their demo treps & let them demonstrate the "normal" sounding transmission for you.

Bringing the Intrepid in on Monday... I have a feeling fixing the seat won't be a problem but the whining transmission I am sure they will say the sound is normal... but I'll let you know. (I really just want it on record that I complained about the transmission while it's under warranty which might give me some leverage if it fails after 36K)

Patrick [/B]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good idea... the Trep I rented before buying this one didn't make any whining sound.

After you drive it for a while it even makes the sound at street (40mph) speed... just faintly.

The way it is if I am cruising holding my speed say 65 to 70 it makes the sound... if I let off the gas it goes away. Push back down to hold your speed and it comes right back.

Do you guys think that's a tranny sound? I don't think it's the engine but I guess it could be any of the drive train parts.

Patrick

·
Registered
456 Posts
Back to the loose seat topic...

This also happens to the 300M, and I followed up on the TSB and got the parts. It's an easy fix. I did this back in January and still no more seat movement after 2 months.

The Chrysler solution is to replace the two T-50 Torx bolts in each seat with a revised bolt that has a rubber contoured washer. When you tighten them down the rubber starts to squeeze out, but tighten them hard! These bolts hold the power seat mechanism to the brackets that bolt the seat to the floor of the car. Details and some pics are listed below.

TSB: 23-019-01
Parts: 05080982AA; 2 each seat

Steps are simple as follows:

Remove the seat as usual, 2 bolts in front, 2 bolts in rear.
Tilt Back the seat so you can work on the bottom
Look for two large T50 Torx head bolts.
Remove and replace with new bolts.
Reinstall seat.

Pics: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rpowellj...ment+Fix&.dnm=Part+Number.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t

1 - 20 of 24 Posts