DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas on making the car weigh less? (aside from the obvious);... like removing pass seat, spare tire/jack...what has considerable weight inside/out of the car that could be removed to (possibly) improve ET times at the track?? any suggestions welcome...thanks in advance... :D :cool:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
back seats, speakers, head unit, washer fluid reservoir, windshield wipers, hood, trunk, doors....hehe :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by 97 sport platinum:
back seats, speakers, head unit, washer fluid reservoir, windshield wipers, hood, trunk, doors....hehe :)
I'd pay to see something like that goin down the track
:D

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
well until i reached the hood/trunk/doors part i was serious. that's a good way to trim the fat.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Depends how serious you are. I have seen people building rally cars, and they dip the whole body shell in acid to remove all the seam sealer and other rubbery stuff that they spray on at the factory.

·
Registered
502 Posts
See, now I'd rather keep the seam sealer for obvious reasons. Lord knows I wish my Intrepid had some in places the factory should have put it in the first place. Putz's.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
seam sealer or as we call it dum-dum adds a couple hundred pounds to a car, it should only be removed it you are building a full race type car and dont need to worry about the everyday driving hassles

I had a friend who went nuts on a 5.0 notchback, no interior carpet or headliner, no dash trim, no stereo, removed dum-dum, no wheel center caps, removed all seats, replaced fronts with 'glass units etc..etc

the car ran some consistently sick ass times at the strips but the ride to and from the track was hell

my advice, stick to the basics, lose the jack and spare tire, no "extra" stereo equipment (subwoofer box) and run less than 1/4 tank of fuel

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: joekd ]

·
Registered
209 Posts
Originally posted by ATFCharger:
See, now I'd rather keep the seam sealer for obvious reasons. Lord knows I wish my Intrepid had some in places the factory should have put it in the first place. Putz's.
Is this lack of seam sealer, a new trend in american cars, or has it always been that way?

All the cars I owned or worked on back home had tons of seam sealer in all the right places. But all of the american cars I have seen have much less.

BTW we call the stuff you patch your exhaust with Dum Dum. I am still learning the lingo over here :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice...thanks...i am raring to take some time over spring (when im not working) to see actually how fast this car is capable of running... :D :D minus such unnecessary things as a hood and doors. :D i think the removing of the hood would all but solve the ram-air intake question... :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts