DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced a 1st gen 3.5L and lost with my 2000 R/T. The 1st gen didn't have any mods. I have a K&N air filter. How could he beat me? Is it best to use the autostick and if so at how many RPMs is it best to shift

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry but I have to say "NO WAY!".

If you race in Autostick, the trick is actually do not shift and keep it floored! The TRS (Transmission Range Sensor) will not let your engine touch redline and will shift for you at a more optimum point You may have lost if the 3.5L first gen had an autostick or was able to somehow come closer to redline and you didn't do this. By all means if it starts to touch redline, SHIFT quick but it shouldn't!

I was able to come a little closer to redline and my tranny shifted faster and smoother after having the latest TCM revisions flashed into my TCM (Transmission Control Module) w/my 1999 Intrepid ES 3.2L. I have raced first gen 3.5's twice, once on the street and once on the freeway. Everyone still says I should have lost but I didn't and yes, racing! The first gens I raced didn't seemed to be beat to hell or anything.

The first gen 3.5L puts out like 214HP and the 3.5L puts out like 245HP w/quicker drivetrain. Sorry but something was wrong there in my personal opinion. Did the 97' Sport Edition have something extra.... and could it have been a Sport Edition? I know some of them came without speed restrictions.... and could possibly have something else....?

hmmm, how strange....!

[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Not that strange at all. The R/T is only a few tenths quicker than a 3.2L ES in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and the 1st gen 3.5L is about the same as the second gen 3.2L, perhaps a smidge quicker.

Maybe it came down to the drivers.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yep, LHSer is right. The torque curves on the 1st gen 3.5 are quite different than the 2nd gen 3.2 Thats why we can usually beat you guys. But I doubt we'd be able to take a 2nd gen 3.5 without any mods....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
um.....it looks like it already happened. took an R/T on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts