DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have finnay got some time to do something with my 98 ES, with 69,000 miles on it..

1. My Transmission or tranny sometimes jerks when I press on the gas then let off very quickly instead of acceleration up. Is it time for a transmission service at 69 thousand miles and will that solve the proble.

2. When I bought my car it had S rated tires on the front(ugly fat ones at that) and Z rated tires on the rear(nice sporty look) could that cause the car to drive funny or cause some of the stearing vibration?? :dunno:

3. Going to probally buy some tires off of tirerack.com. Has anyone had any experience with them?? Also are the bremo rotors off of there good, cause the ceap ones the Shell gas station service place put on there are crap I guess.

Really appreciate the help

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:giveup:

·
Registered
625 Posts
1. Don't do that, and get tranny flushed. Will "cure" problem.
2. Get a good set of matching tires, alignment, brakes and suspension checked. Will cure problem.
3. Tire Rack and Brembo are good suppliers.

·
Premium Member
16,763 Posts
Our cars are very finicky about tires - especially with so-called "high-performance" tires after they get some wear on them, so yeah - replacing them would probably improve things. (Personally I think that a good touring tire represents a much better value for our cars - cost less, much smoother over the tire life, *much* longer tread life, and if problems develop, you are more likely to get satisfaction out of the manufacturer - it is a known fact in the tire business that the manufacturers of most so-called "high performance" tires do will do nothing to help if noise or vibration problems develop - and they often do.)

In my experience with Tire Rack, by the time you add shipping cost and pay a third party $10 to $18 per tire to mount/balance, you would come out better buying the same tire thru a local tire shop - add up *all* the costs to do an apples-and-apples comparison of Tire Rack vs. purchasing from local tire shop (including free lifetime balance and rotation a shop will give you with the purchase).

PLUS: If you have one place sell, install, balance, rotate, and align, if problems with a tire or tires develop, you are 10 times more likely to get cooperation in getting it replaced as defect or adjusted. If you have three different entities involved in all of that, if a problem develops short of obvious total catastrophic failure, you're going to get a bunch of frustrating finger-pointing between manufacturer, seller, installer, alignment shop, etc. BTDT!

*AND* many tire shops will give you free balancing and rotation for the life of the tires that you buy from them - not true if you have a third party do initial mount and balance.

IMO, Tire Rack would be cost effective if you buy wheels with pre-mounted/balanced tires (which I did do one time).

On jerky tranny - besides new filter and fluid, have dealer check TCM firmware version - there was an update in late '99 (IIRC) that fixes problems like that (worked for my '99).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn! thanks for the good info peoples :beerchug: . I'm gonna check the local sears auto center and some other places like Walmart I guess. Also... the local Dodge/Crysler dealer around here has a Transmission service going for..$109-$120. Is that a good price?? Or should I try elsewhere???

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:bouncer:

·
Premium Member
16,763 Posts
dman248 said:
damn! thanks for the good info peoples :beerchug: . I'm gonna check the local sears auto center and some other places like Walmart I guess. Also... the local Dodge/Crysler dealer around here has a Transmission service going for..$109-$120. Is that a good price?? Or should I try elsewhere???
I was thinking more along the lines of the independednt local tire/alignment shops who can order in just about any tire you want, but - yeah - check Sears and WalMart too - watch the treadwear ratings if that is important to you.

The price on tranny service depends on what they do. The fluid is $5 to $7 a qt., so what it costs them depends on whether they just drop the pan and only have to use 4 or 5 qts. or if they do a thorough flush and use 12 or 14. The important thing is that they use ATF+4.

Are you going to have them check the TCM firmware revision level?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea I am going to have them do that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts