DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Intrepid 3.5L engine with a very loud knocking sound coming from the valve cover and runs rough. Did a search on the knocking noise; the best I can come up with is a rod knocking or piston slap. Can someone please explain what this is and if this can be fixed.

Thanks,
Leonard

·
Registered
229 Posts
Since no one has replied yet to your post i guess i'll say something. Doe syour engine have high mileage? Rod knocking is when you get a vibration because there is too much wear somewhere between the crakshaft and the piston. It could be bearings, loose wrist pins, etc.

Piston slap....? don'[t know. valves hitting the piston could make a sound like that i think. 3.5L has a timing belt. how does the car run? is it possible that you could've jumped teeth? how long has it been since timing belt has been changed?

hopefully someone with more experience jumps in to answer in more detail.... anyone??

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Leonard said:
I have a 1994 Intrepid 3.5L engine with a very loud knocking sound coming from the valve cover and runs rough. Did a search on the knocking noise; the best I can come up with is a rod knocking or piston slap. Can someone please explain what this is and if this can be fixed.

Thanks,
Leonard

Sounds like time for a new engine or car. At least the tranny is still working.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Timing belt sounds about right. If it is that you will have a problem. My uncel used to get cars with timing belts until he met his mustang.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine has 140,000 miles.......anyone have some idea, maybe lower end of engine or heads.......timing is ok

thanks
Leonard

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, my 1997 ES has 145 thousand on her and not meaning to brag, mine still sounds new....I feel for ya man, real bummer. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Guys.....appreciate your replies

Checked oil level its ok, this is a very loud knocking or banging noise under the hood or car and smokes out the tail pipe ( little ), I removed valve covers and everything seams to be ok, if a rod is knocking what is involved and can I fix it or do we need new engine.

Leonard

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a 97 and at 123,000 it started a loud knock, at 124,000 it threw 2 rods and punched a hole in the side of the motor. After that i got a remanufactered motor from dodge and that one also threw a rod after 10,000 miles. so i went back to them and they were sorry and replaced it again and said that if i had brought it in when it started to knock than they could have avoided the blow up. so if i were you id take it down to the dealership soon before it blows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bottom end is gone, so I'm in the market for a good used engine, I live in Hamilton Ontario

Leonard

1 - 10 of 10 Posts