DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Start-up trouble

3.3 engine. Cranks but won't start, relays looked OK (switched them around) fuel pump kicks in but fuel pressure is low. Spark is there, cranking OK. Cleaned IAC thing but that is not it for sure.

That's what I did:
Changed the fuel filter, replaced all seals on fuel injectors. removed fuel pump, (btw. cleaned sending unit, it works, voltage is there for the pump and sending unit) put it back together. After that the car started and drove OK! Parked it. Next half hour tried again and it was back to what it was before, no start (not even kicking). Don't know what fixed it for that time and no idea what kills it. When I spray stater fluid into TB it kicks so it has to be fuel related...(?!)

Possibilities (I think):
- fuel pump seems working but could it be limping?
- fuel pressure regulator (there's a 2 sec hiss when I turn the key, ideas?)
- starter circuit issue. I was never able to find anything on it (how to troubleshoot) but Hayes manual says wiring issue with starter may cause no start (again, cranks OK).

Any ideas, experiences in this department?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,694 Posts
This sounds like a bad fuel pump. I would get a pressure gauge and take a fuel pressure reading when it wont start, and compare it to factory specs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fuel pressure or very low, no need for a gauge, I watch the relief valve. It should spray and it doesn't... most of the time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to attach to the old thread ...
...the problem with start-up resurfaced today again. It has disappeared suddenly for several months and reappeared again. I noticed (around that time) that I have start-up issues after pouring fuel injector cleaner, very, very similar behavior (I used CD brand). I had really hard time starting until I have used up all the fuel (mixed with injector cleaner) and poured some fresh one. What initially seemed to be fuel pressure related has to be related to something else. I checked IAC, TB etc. Now I'm thinking perhaps oxygen sensors...?
Fuel pump was OK (I replaced it anyway few months ago together with fuel pressure regulator, installed new injector seals) as the car was driven whole day today. It's not kicking, not even once. Last time I had this problem I used cold start-up spray and it seemed to be willing to start but was also immediately dying after burning through what was sprayed into the air intake (few secs). It's got to be fuel delivery related as this spray revives it immediately (spark has to be there...)....simply not getting fuel...
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
alarkyokie said:
:grlaugh:

Anyhow its not your 02's.When you first start your vehicle your in "open loop" and the pcm isnt even reading from them.For more info on this look here .

Last time you had this problem doesnt really mean jack you have to go threw all the motions again. A cam or crank sensor will leave you dead in the water.

Check for spark.
Check for fuel.

Reply with findings

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Engine cranks, spark OK, no fuel pressure at relief valve, fuel pump not initializing when the key is turned (no sound), fuses OK. Code 55 (nothing new). Swapped relays, still no go. Damn, I left my Hayes book and most of my tools on the boat and I'm blindly relying on you guys...

Sorry for posting in general forum but it seemed to be related more to general troubleshooting then anything else (at least to me)

·
Registered
843 Posts
proxyx99 said:
Engine cranks, spark OK, no fuel pressure at relief valve, fuel pump not initializing when the key is turned (no sound), fuses OK. Code 55 (nothing new). Swapped relays, still no go. Damn, I left my Hayes book and most of my tools on the boat and I'm blindly relying on you guys...

Sorry for posting in general forum but it seemed to be related more to general troubleshooting then anything else (at least to me)

test the powers to the pump and look for shorts. i would get into detail but i managed to break a couple bones in my hands today anhd they are both in 1/2 casts. if i wasnt useless before i sure am now

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't get to the trunk today so I'll be checking power at the pump tomorrow. In the meantime I browsed through most of fuel system related issues and noticed that not too many guys were successful in troubleshooting fuel related problems... not very encouraging. Sorry about your hand. Thanks anyway

·
Registered
843 Posts
dont forget to check the ground wire.this too can shut off power and i dont thinkit will pop a fuse. dont get discourage-sometimes people esp people who only join to troubleshoot a problem dont nbother to come back to let us know what happened/fixed the problem.

gl

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok this mite not be in the right place for this post so mods...you know what to do
I can run my car for a little while before it boggs down and dies like its not getting any fuel anymore help me!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Problem solved! Turned out to be a dirty/oxidized contact in the pump's connecting plug. Can't say which: ground or B+. Checked with a probe and after initial "no juice" I drilled a bit into the plug's connecting terminals with the tip of my probe. When it finally lit I knew "this must be it". Reconnected. Car started no problem on the first try. Thanks everyone who participated. It kept me going.

·
Registered
843 Posts
glad to hear it!!

pokey you need to start a thead of your own-

put it in either of the first or 2nd gen forum wich also brings up if we dont know the year/engine and a little more detail on the problem we cant help you.with the info you gave us it could be a rc!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts