DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've gotten myself stuck trying to change the altenator in my 03 intrepid. it's a 2.7L. i was attempting to remove the radiator support bar which is two bolts on each side of the car. i got the driver side out with no problem, but on the passenger side i broke them loose and got a couple more turns then it broke loose. the bolts just spin and when i try to reach around to grab what i assume would be a nut there isn't one there. so now i'm stuck, i can't tighten these and i can't remove them, and i can't see what is holding it in. anyone with any helpful advice i would appreciate it greatly. thanks guys

chris

·
Registered
631 Posts
If I understand correctly, I believe the bolt is out of the threads and is in the bushing. Have you tried giving the bolt a good pull? I have had the bolts stick inside the bushings and did what you described.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
If you remove the bumper, you'll be able to see what you're dealing with.

Those four bolts are screwed into speed nuts.

It isn't that much work to get the bumper out of the way.
There's only two screws; the rest is plastic push pins and rivets.

--Terry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have tried pulling, i didn't give it my all just because i was unsure what i was dealing with..

TGS, it sounds like you might have dealt with this before, any suggestions once the bumper is off?? there isn't alot of room to get at the "speed nuts" so i'm not sure what i can do to keep them from spinning with the bolt..

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
TGS, it sounds like you might have dealt with this before, any suggestions once the bumper is off?? there isn't alot of room to get at the "speed nuts" so i'm not sure what i can do to keep them from spinning with the bolt..
I've never had a spinner but I know what you're dealing with.

My only suggestion would be to cut off the heads of the bolts and use anti-seize on the new bolts.
If there is enough room to get vise-grips in there, you could shoot it with PB Blaster and try that but I don't think there is enough space.

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never had a spinner but I know what you're dealing with.

My only suggestion would be to cut off the heads of the bolts and use anti-seize on the new bolts.
If there is enough room to get vise-grips in there, you could shoot it with PB Blaster and try that but I don't think there is enough space.

Good luck with your project!
i don't think there is either but that is my plan as of now, thanks for your opinion..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts