DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about lowering springs and plus sized rims and I was hoping I could get some info... I am looking into getting eigther the Eibach or Intrax lowering springs along w\ a set of 17" (light weight racing) rims... does anyone have plus sized rims or lowering springs or know anyone that does? Have they had any problems or complaints w\ the springs or having that big of rims? Please feed me your thoughts and info...

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have heard that lowering springs are a bad idea on the LH's

The CV joints may fail if the suspension is lowered.

Not 100% sure on this but if anyone else has heard, chime in

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just don't think lowering a car makes sense at all... it serves no real purpose... tell me about performance and I will challenge you with my non-lowered 3.5L. Watch out for the railroad tracks!

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that a lowered vehicle just is a personal style choice... eigther ya like it or ya don't, I do... It doesn't make you go faster, maybe the handling is a bit better, but, personally I think it looks better, especially w\ large rims... I'm not going to put 14" 'bicycle rims' on my trep' ughhh (I see one driving around my area like that...) also, I'm not 'slamming' my car... w\ thinner tires, 2" bigger rims, and 1" lower springs, my ride height will stay about the same! It's just personal taste I guess... but my question was if there were any risk (such as that abouve about the cv joints...)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, it hides and fills those huge wheel wells... which I think looks a lot better... and, is there anyone that has plus sized rims w\ pics?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Ok, let's talk about lowering and performance: 1st) lowering the car drops the center of gravity, making the car corner with less body roll and handle with more accuracy. 2nd) by lowering the car you decrease the amount of air that flows under it, decreasing overall drag, especially at high speeds. So, put all the HP you want under the hood, but it won't mean anything if your car can't handle the g's in the turns. 3rd) lowering the car reduces the flex in the suspension due to increased spring rates. This means the car will launch better off the line because the body doesn't move as much. 4th) i think it looks much better to set the wheels up in the wheel wells more...that's what they're there for, why not use them. I have the Eibach kit sitting here waiting for my new struts to come in. Then she's going to get a whole new suspension out under her.
When all's said and done, yes, it's a matter of choice.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Agreed, lowering does help handling of the car and I think it makes the car look much sharper. I was browsing the net for a set of 17's for my 95 ES, I was looking for a set off of say a 300m or even a sebring or minivan, but at 200 + for one, I'll try the junk yards first! What size and brand of tires were you planning on stuffing in the wheel wells? Also what struts are you gonna use? I'm figuring on using Michelin Pilot XGTZ4's 245/45/17 or in that size range, the Eibach spring set, and NO idea which struts to use! Don't really want adjustables ( had problems with them before ) but I do want something a bit stiffer.
any suggestions?
Oh, P.S. lowering the car the 1 inch in the front actually is better for the axles. that way they're almost horizontal rather than being on an incline from the hubs to the trans.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey if you go to www.tirerack.com. You can pull up yor car and try out different rim styles, sizes and see how it will look on your car. Click on the arrow by the vehicle upgrade center, then enter vehicle info, pick your rims and it recommends what size tires to put on with proper clearance. Of course this is a good starting place but shop for better deals. We use this at the garage I work at for people interested in new rims.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As for lowering, well most springs were pulled off the market due to damage to the cv's This is common knowledge on the 300M boards. The drive line is designed to operate at a certian setting, changing that will shorten the axles life.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First off I am new to this board and hope to be around for a while. Second thing has to do with lowering your car. I have a 1997 Chrysler LHS and it is lowered 2". I have used both the Eibach springs and the Intrax springs in my car. When I first installed lowering springs in my car, I got a horrible vibration from the change in drive line angle. If you plan on lowering your car you will need to shim the motor to eliminate the drive line vibration. There was a TSB sent out in regard to vibration that gives you the part number to the shims.

Brett

·
Registered
25 Posts
How much are the eibach springs to lower the car? and what else is required? Like I confessed in another post, I'm a novice at best and have learned a lot already but when it comes to suspension I don't know much. I have a few friends who know more and help but what else is required to lower the car.. just springs or new shocks too? and also how much do they cost? thanks lots

·
Registered
261 Posts
well... I'm getting the Eibach Springs put on along with KYB struts, because it needed new struts anyway... and all of it including shipping is about $580, but the springs themselves I got for $230

the prices for the eibach springs vary greatly, I saw them as high as $380, though i only paid $230...
Ill let u guys know if there good, bad, or whatnot... I look forward to the handling increase
:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts