DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I posted how much torque to apply to our lugs(ES aluminum wheels). I was told to apply 100lbs of torque. Well, I did a new mod the other day(will post that later), put the tire back on and used my Craftsman torque wrench.

Well, I could barely turn it past 70lbs of torque. So, I am not too sure if 100lbs is right.....just thought I'd let ya'll know.

·
9,861 Posts
Haynes says 95 for first gen.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
it's a possibilty the tourque wrench needs to be cilibrated. any time you drop or tighten past the preset setting on a tourque wrench...it needs to be recalibrated.
and make sure you are using the proper setting. inch pounds or foot pounds....they are different.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well, my trusty 01 FSM says that the Aluminum wheel should be torqued to 100 ft. lbs.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
My Haynes manual is telling me 100.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Does it matter which wheel on the 2nd Gen? I've got the 2001 R/T "Crusader" rims, which I believe are painted aluminum. I wonder if there's a difference.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
not only should they be 100LBS, but check them again in a week, aluminum rims have a tendincy to have the lugs come loose. Odds are it will not happen, but if you want to be percise about it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It's very important to avoid warping your rotors. Those guys with the impact wrenches can do that if they go nuts on it. Excuse the pun!

·
Registered
52 Posts
jakeoooooo said:
It's very important to avoid warping your rotors. Those guys with the impact wrenches can do that if they go nuts on it. Excuse the pun!
I always subscribed to the school of:

Tighten it til it breaks and back it off 1/4 turn.

But, thats just me.... :crazy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts