DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Thursday, my dad came down from Jacksonville to go see my older brother who has liver problems and is at Tampa General. I zipped right over there after school to go meet my dad. Anyway, when we were leaving, I'm following my dad through downtown to get on 275. So I end up waving bye to him as I pass him and he gets lost in traffic. When we get past bearss avenue and out of the city, there is this open, fairly straight stretch of 275 before it merges with I-75. I'm in the right lane, cruise set on 80. I look in my mirror and I see this burgundy colored Lumina catching up quick. So I thought I'd **** with him. He catches up with me and I floored it so he couldn't pass me and he guns it too and I started edging his ass out before the merge down to 75. Low and behold, it was my dad!! hee hee :D I knew I could smoke his 160hp 3.0L lumina

Next night he calls "Hey jackass! I saw your dangerous driving, I had to do 100 to catch up to you and pass you!" Me-"You're right dad, I was wrong. I guess I should've let you fly by and you did no passing!!" Dad-"I know, I had it floored but I couldn't catch you. That intrepid is a fast friggin car! With all the problems you've had with it, I thought I could smoke your ass big time. I'll look into getting one when my car hits 120k miles."

His lumina has like 102k miles on it now, I think I convinced his previously only GM and Ford owner to go Mopar :)

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
"With all the problems you've had with it".

Why would he go DC. I really like my 98 Intrepid but the reliabliity sucks. It seems after 3 years the thing is falling apart. It was pretty good for a Chrysler in the first 3 years (A/C condenser, Speed sensor,window regulator,battery cable), now its falling apart. I wanted to keep it for a winter car. I don't think its reliable enough to keep.

[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: adaptabl ]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Unfortunately I kind of agree with you adaptabl. I don't think I have gone a month straight yet where nothing went wrong with my car. It's always something. I can't speak for the second generation cars, but I don't like the reliability of my first generation.

·
Registered
560 Posts
...ive been having a lot of problems now (stemming from a warrantee waterpump job that was bungled a while back,...someone neglected to put the tensioner bolt back on the timing belt tensioner assembly...figures) but for the most part, almost 100k miles no 'major' problems...

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Although I've only owned my '98 ES since last September, I have encountered only two minor problems. I had to replace the drivers door power window motor, and two lug nut studs that broke because whom-ever had the previous tires on, torqued them wayyyy to tight. Other than that, nothing, no lights in the dash are on, and no signs of any problems (knocking on wood). I bought the car with 61,000 and in only six months have put on 13,000 (lots of highway traveling) as I am now at 74,000 miles on it. I can only hope it stays this reliable as I near the century milage mark (100k). Overall, great car :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My tranny torque converter is going bad... I'm saving up for it now, minor fee of only 500 dollars :mad:

The reliability does kinda suck for these cars..

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I've had the LHS for 9 months and about 12,000 miles and the only problem I've had is the front rotors, once.

Knock on wood I guess.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
while i have owned my intrepid the only problem I had was the 3.5 eating those intake manifold gaskets that go bad so often on these cars. granted it doesn't have many miles on it but still....take care of it and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
the problems I have had are tranny (ok. understandable).. and things that were inproperly maintained by the previous owner. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
We owned our Intrepid since it was new from the factory (may 1997), and in its first couple of years, it was relatively trouble free. But no matter what, DC still builds extremely poor quality vehicles, especially the intrepid. Lately, within the last year, it has been giving many problems. We will be sure never to make a DC purchase again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
honestly, i dont like american cars much, but i am happy with my zx2. i have 53,000 HARD DRIVEN miles on it, and i have had NO problems with it. i am surprised. the mopars are getting better too. american engineering has come a long ways in the last decade. like it or not...

peace out.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by LHSer:

Knock on wood I guess.
Man, if that works maybe I should stuff a small tree in my trunk for emergencies. :D :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts