DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted i think about a week ago on a forum about if he should get a paintjob or not, i said i got a maaco paintjob and it looked good, now i finally got to that but its only 4 pics, more coming soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
looks great but you gotta get rid of those hubcaps! nice mags would make the paint job stand out! lol

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
doesn't look too bad. Maaco went bankrupt in Canada for doing lousy body and paint work, but yours looks decent in the pics

·
Registered
159 Posts
it looks good, but the paint is cloudly, i woulda stuck with stock paint, no matter what the color, they need clear coat, i would go back before it cures, and have them do it, TRUST ME, I DO PAINT, that thing needs a good buff and clear, lol
other than that, it looks good, like the color, and yes, u do need rims, im not a fan of the hub caps

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The stock paint on the car was the light blue and it looked awwful, when i tell you awful, holy ****. So i decided Maaco, the guy at maaco is a complete dickhead and wanted to do the paintjob for 500$. I told him c ya later and then he said 315. Good deal for me. Then somebody opened the door on my car and ran off so the Driver door has a nice looking scrape of white on it. I went back to maaco to get a touch up bottle for my color paint, like a 4 or 5 ounce bottle and he wanted 20 bucks. I'll do that later, but besides that it looks nice. I really want to get rid of the hubcaps lol. Anyone know a cheap place to buy nice wheels? and are 15"? I just bought a spoiler off ebay which looks nice and im gonna put on when it gets here, im taking the car to get a nice wrap around stripe on the back just like the Super bee Chargers and the Dart swingers. Stripe is white by the way.

Got a nice intake in it, whole new Front Suspension and back suspension, the car rides drives like a dream, all new gauges and panels, i want to sell this car and get a 2nd gen Intrepid but its gonna be hard to let go of her. =/ well thats all lol. The car only has 87k on it, and this 3.3 Pushrod is gonna last a long long time. Best Chrysler motor by far.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
With that kind of milage, your better off than with a gen 2 .

Go to the junk yard and get a set of LHS rims and leather interior!

Eagle vision TSI chrome wheels would look good too!

Check on kijiji or craigs list for the wheels.

That trep has a lot of life left in her ,with the suspention done and now paint,treat her right and you'll be
"stuck with it" for another 150,000 miles!

·
Registered
159 Posts
i would like some nice wheels for my car myself, go to discounttire.com i believe it is, they are pretty good, and type in stock tires for an 1987 chevy camaro IROC-Z V8, with the 16" wheels, they come up with these sick tires for like 80 bucks each, its falken i believe, they are the bang for the buck. rims go cheap too, about 120 each wheel for a good set, but anywhere from 89-500 bucks a wheel, its all your style desires. ill be sticking intrepid ES wheels on my vision ESI

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
hey not bad but could use a clear and buff but not from maco they do ok paint work it can get very costly for paint they are able to save on cost because they tape things instead of pulling handels and such weather strip and such but it's ok and alot better then faded flaking paint so good luck

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The stock paint on the car was the light blue and it looked awwful, when i tell you awful, holy ****. So i decided Maaco, the guy at maaco is a complete dickhead and wanted to do the paintjob for 500$. I told him c ya later and then he said 315. Good deal for me. Then somebody opened the door on my car and ran off so the Driver door has a nice looking scrape of white on it. I went back to maaco to get a touch up bottle for my color paint, like a 4 or 5 ounce bottle and he wanted 20 bucks. I'll do that later, but besides that it looks nice. I really want to get rid of the hubcaps lol. Anyone know a cheap place to buy nice wheels? and are 15"? I just bought a spoiler off ebay which looks nice and im gonna put on when it gets here, im taking the car to get a nice wrap around stripe on the back just like the Super bee Chargers and the Dart swingers. Stripe is white by the way.

Got a nice intake in it, whole new Front Suspension and back suspension, the car rides drives like a dream, all new gauges and panels, i want to sell this car and get a 2nd gen Intrepid but its gonna be hard to let go of her. =/ well thats all lol. The car only has 87k on it, and this 3.3 Pushrod is gonna last a long long time. Best Chrysler motor by far.
Usually the maaco paint job will look good right after you get it. The problem is for 315 dollars and a whole car, they basically cut as much corners as they could. For example, I bet they did not remove the side moulding on your car. Also, I bet they did not remove the rubber window weather guard around the door. They are supposed to remove and paint underneath as well so there's no sudden paint edge at where the foreign surface meets the paint. If they didn't do this, then when the weather get warmer and the rubber starts to expand, it will basically push the paint off the door. That's exactly what happens to my car when I had them paint my car door. So basically you get what you paid for, which in this case is: 1. single stage enamel paint (not base/clear), 2. a car wash before the paint, 3. a light sand of the original finish to allow the new paint to stick, 4. a quick spray of probably 2 coats of paint.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yiranhu, you are so right man. Coudn't have said it better myself. To boot, my rear bumper's paint is starting to peel and i can see my other color blue under it. So do you think i should take it back to them and have them recoat the bumper?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yiranhu, you are so right man. Coudn't have said it better myself. To boot, my rear bumper's paint is starting to peel and i can see my other color blue under it. So do you think i should take it back to them and have them recoat the bumper?
Definitely worth a shot. Did they give you a warranty of any kind?

They will probably say that you backed into something though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol ya i know man, everyone keeps telling me the same thing everywhere, Friends, you guys, some random people at school i talk to. I dont want to fork over over 900$ for a good paintjob, i would rather nice things Dodge boys do to their cars, engine mods, power outers, fixing up all the mechanical things, that kind of stuff. People laugh at me when i say i do maaco, like cheap **** or something. All i know is when their car is falling apart but they have a real awesome looking paint job, im just gonna start crackin up on the floor laughing. Anyway for the Trep ES im gonna get all new doors and bumpers and a hood and guess where im gonna go to get a paintjob.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
well that's not your fault cuz you didn't know that this is how they cut corners. What you could have done to make a maaco job worth a while is do some prep work yourself before taking it to them. Like take off all the trims and such that hides some underneath surface; take off all the moulding; tape up mirrors. Another thing is if you care about removing dings and stuff like that, you can putty and prime that yourself and then take it to them. If you don't trust their sanding, you can also sand the car yourself too. There is a chance they will miss part of the surface (thus the surface will be slick) and just paint over it. That spot couple of years from now (or sooner) can bubble up and peel off cuz the paint isn't sticking real well.

But the point is, if you want a 300 dollar paint job to be comparable to a 900 paint job, you will have to fill in the work that they didn't do.

I ended up repainting my car door myself and found that the parts they painted correctly was on there pretty good. So there's some hope for maaco.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Definitely worth a shot. Did they give you a warranty of any kind?

They will probably say that you backed into something though.
I actually asked another Maaco when my dad was having some body pieces painted there about my car door. The guy said: "well it's the rubber expanding pushing the paint off"! So they know exactly what they are doing. The guy ended up giving me a bottle of touch up, which is just black (my car's color is PXR which is brilliant pearl black). So from that moment on, I wash my hand of Maaco. Besides I found that I can paint pieces of car myself (not the whole car) for much cheaper with better results.

Just to confirm what I said in the previous post, the pieces that my dad was having them paint did not have any moulding or things like that. So they only had to sand and paint. They are actually holding up pretty well. You can still see them skipping work: there are dust in the surface, they did nothing about the dents and dings... But for what it was (which is to put some almost matching color on to make a car drivable), they did the job.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
lol ya i know man, everyone keeps telling me the same thing everywhere, Friends, you guys, some random people at school i talk to. I dont want to fork over over 900$ for a good paintjob, i would rather nice things Dodge boys do to their cars, engine mods, power outers, fixing up all the mechanical things, that kind of stuff. People laugh at me when i say i do maaco, like cheap **** or something. All i know is when their car is falling apart but they have a real awesome looking paint job, im just gonna start crackin up on the floor laughing. Anyway for the Trep ES im gonna get all new doors and bumpers and a hood and guess where im gonna go to get a paintjob.
hey i read the first post you had if the car was in as bad shape as you said hey i would have thrown a cheap paint on it for now not many of us have a $1,000 to put out for a paint job paint is not cheap might have been a bit better if car was prep good but hey you have to learn so just remember at least you got 1 color for now save your pennies then look on craigslist sometimes car painters are looking for side work well take care

1 - 20 of 26 Posts