DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
from that to my new ride.....11' NITRO

2011 Dodge Nitro is my new toy.....still got the R/T but this one's getting the love currently....tinted headlights, 8000k HID's in headlights, body color painted grill shell, custom NITRO into grill using paint mask....tinted tail lights, tinted windows, remote start....

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was going to use that for my exhaust but they had them in to large of a size. Went a custom route for the same price.

I recommend putting the Y further down, as far back as possible. It was one of those small details that gave the Special Exhausts the sound and performance edge.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You also may get some resonance from just having a Y-pipe. I'd recommend a straight through center in/out muffler or resonator. I use a Magnaflow stainless muffler and it sounds amazing. The small body muffler still fits after the Y-pipe with a little room on both sides.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You also may get some resonance from just having a Y-pipe. I'd recommend a straight through center in/out muffler or resonator. I use a Magnaflow stainless muffler and it sounds amazing. The small body muffler still fits after the Y-pipe with a little room on both sides.
This is true, it will have a drone. Not a terrible one. But enough to be noticeable from stock.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So the factory front resonator is not straight thru ?
I thought it was like a dual inlet glasspack.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So the factory front resonator is not straight thru ?
I thought it was like a dual inlet glasspack.
No, it doesn't. I took my blown out one apart. The tubes go to the back of the resonator. So the exhaust goes to the back, and has to go roughly 2/3 back to the front through a series of baffle plates, then back out the tube that exits.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So even though they call it a resonator , it's actually built more like a muffler.

Has anybody ever cut the rear resonator apart ?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I ordered one up , hopefully it's no too loud.
Let us know if the install was smooth. I'm interested in putting one on mine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let us know if the install was smooth. I'm interested in putting one on mine.
I'll post the results after the install next week . All you do is cut the pipes just in front of the stock resonator " which are 2 1/4" OD" and then use a couple 18" length's of ID / OD
pipe to move the 10758 back . You may need an adaptor on the rear for a 2.7 car.
Then if you have the equipment , weld it together.

My 02 ES came with a home brew type of y-adaptor and I've run it the last year with a
straight piped muffler and just the very rear resonator. It's throaty but not annoying.
The one I'm installing next week is going on my son's 3.5 , which still has the 2.7 resonator, so I'm hoping it will wake it up some. The rest of the exhaust is a stock Interceptor system.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was hoping to put the y adapter in the stock location of the resonator and then putting a round magnaflow to act as a resonator. I'm just concerned if it's a perfect slip fit over the down-pipes without having to move them closer or farther apart, because that would necessitate cutting/lengthening the mounting brackets where they bolt at the back of the transaxle...and I really don't want to do that. The down pipes don't look at all modified in the above pics. I'm hoping that's the case.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was hoping to put the y adapter in the stock location of the resonator and then putting a round magnaflow to act as a resonator. I'm just concerned if it's a perfect slip fit over the down-pipes without having to move them closer or farther apart, because that would necessitate cutting/lengthening the mounting brackets where they bolt at the back of the transaxle...and I really don't want to do that. The down pipes don't look at all modified in the above pics. I'm hoping that's the case.

I havn't done one yet but everyone on here says it lines up perfect with the front pipes.
I'm only using the extensions because I'm not using a magnaflow.

I'm sure it will work fine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going to use that for my exhaust but they had them in to large of a size. Went a custom route for the same price.

I recommend putting the Y further down, as far back as possible. It was one of those small details that gave the Special Exhausts the sound and performance edge.

It sounds like an slightly longer header pipe before the Y adaptor is key.
Thats why I'm going to use a couple 18" extentions.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I installed the 10758 Y adaptor last night and actually you couldn't ask for
a better fit. I did use two 18" lengths of 2.25 pipe ahead of the Y to give it
more of the 300M design.

Now the result ------- The car has the stock converters and only the Interceptor /
RT muffler , no center or rear resonators.
The dam thing is still quiet ! To take it for a drive , you'd never know I changed a thing.
Barely noticeable difference on cabin noise.

If I rev it up to 3-4000 in the garage , you hear a slight difference , but no throaty sound.
It may be a placebo effect but I think it pulls a little better when you step down on it
,, but then I don't drive this car much.

This is probably all for the best " not loud " as a 19 year old drives it everyday.

With the 10758 and pipe ,, I spent $45 ,, probably a decent bang for your buck.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I installed the 10758 Y adaptor last night and actually you couldn't ask for
a better fit. I did use two 18" lengths of 2.25 pipe ahead of the Y to give it
more of the 300M design.

Now the result ------- The car has the stock converters and only the Interceptor /
RT muffler , no center or rear resonators.
The dam thing is still quiet ! To take it for a drive , you'd never know I changed a thing.
Barely noticeable difference on cabin noise.

If I rev it up to 3-4000 in the garage , you hear a slight difference , but no throaty sound.
It may be a placebo effect but I think it pulls a little better when you step down on it and
have the tranny down shift ,, but then I don't drive this car much.

This is probably all for the best " not loud " as a 19 year old drives it everyday.
With the 10758 and pipe ,, I spent $45 ,, probably a decent bang for your buck.
Probably a good thing that it's not too loud with him being 19. When the exhaust starts poppin' the panties start droppin'!

At least that's how it use to be in my hay day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts