DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
minjady's tranny went on her trep she just bought! what broke that would cause her tranny fluid to leak all over her engine? car smoked due to tranny fluid all over! could it be a hose of some sort and would that be hard to fix?

·
Registered
181 Posts
aww you're too sweet! >_<
But any responses would be great!!
This really sucks!
It's at a tranny shop now it will be looked at in the morning so I will find out what happened then, hopefully it's just a hose or something but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what I told her it could be, but wouldn't it leak coolant instead of tranny fluid? I dunno I'm no mechanic! LOL but that was my first assumption!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I thought that since the engine and everything was hot and the tranny fluid went all over the place that's why there was smoke... but I have no clue!

I didn't see any coolant, but I didn't really look for any either since I more focussed on the tranny fluid at the time lol.

·
Registered
181 Posts
well im new at dodges just bought mine a week ago but i think theres a tranny fluild cooler that the fluid goes thru to keep it running within temp sorry to hear it went to the doc's already u just bought it too?

yes I just bought it :(
there were no signs of the tranny going bad either. No slips, jerks, knocks, pulls, nothing!
This is why I am hoping that it's just a hose or something.
Even when I saw smoke it was driving fine

·
Registered
181 Posts
well wasnt a nice way for your car to say hello to ya i hope its a easy fix for you now you gonna have me look at my lines in the am i have 189k on my trep

Lol yea go check those out! :p
And I hope it's an easy fix for me too!! lol
I'm crossing my fingers for it NOT to be a bad tranny

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
A tranny cooler line could definitely be leaking. It would be leaking coolant if it was a radiator hose.

Another slight possibilty is its the tranny pan not sealed right against the transmission.

Usually if the leak is toward the middle of the car, its the pan, but if its toward the front of the car, its a tranny cooler line. However, the tranny cooler lines are connected to the actual transmission so they can leak there too lol.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ahh thats what I thought but wanted to check with the pro's first! :wink:

·
Registered
752 Posts
probably the cooler lines. I have yet to see an LH from the 90's that does not leak from the lines, at least a little. heck, my 02 leaked from the lines when it was only a year old. so hopefully nothing more serious. of course, make sure the tranny shop fills it with ATF+3 or ATF+4 and does not use Dexron...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am not sure where the tranny fluid was leaking from because when I lifted the hood it looked more like an explosion rather than a leak lol. There was tranny fluid everywhere! All over the engine, battery front of the car, it splashed on the side of the car I guess while I was pulling over. Then when I stopped there was a huge puddle under the car. Maybe the puddle was more to the front now that I think about it... but I have no clue. I really really really hope that it's only a hose or something like that because I do like my car (Britney) lol

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Bet one of your cooler lines came off, get it fixed with a bigger oil cooler from summit or jegs or some one like them. Then get your tranny serviced again! Good luck! Next time Snap some pictures.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Next time Snap some pictures.
ya sure!!! the first thing she's gonna wanna do after a major breakdown is snap pics! NOT!!! lol

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,823 Posts
minjady's tranny went on her trep she just bought! what broke that would cause her tranny fluid to leak all over her engine? car smoked due to tranny fluid all over! could it be a hose of some sort and would that be hard to fix?
When you bought this did the dealer (stealer) give you any kind of guarantee and/or return time?

If so you should call their bluff and threaten them with a lawyer.
I hope I'm wrong but it sounds 2 me like they took advantage of a lady and got jerked.

Good luck. If you wind up sending it back go elsewhere and pick up a 2nd Gen with a 3.5L HO engine.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,823 Posts
I am not sure where the tranny fluid was leaking from because when I lifted the hood it looked more like an explosion rather than a leak lol. There was tranny fluid everywhere! All over the engine, battery front of the car, it splashed on the side of the car I guess while I was pulling over. Then when I stopped there was a huge puddle under the car. Maybe the puddle was more to the front now that I think about it... but I have no clue. I really really really hope that it's only a hose or something like that because I do like my car (Britney) lol
OMG It sounds like your "Britney" got Speared. Oops, I did it again.

lol I'm sorry. I just had to.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
ya sure!!! the first thing she's gonna wanna do after a major breakdown is snap pics! NOT!!! lol
It's the best thing you can do if you have no clue wtf your looking at or talking about. It's not hard to track down where it's coming from all you have to do is get under the car and look, check the lines and pan if the pan is dry then check the lines, if the lines are soaked well clean them up and start the car watch to see where fluid comes from.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought the car privately from someone. He had no clue though. I mean usually if a transmission goes out there are usually signs or warnings, like slips and everything like that. I'm not car stupid, just because I'm girl! I know enough about cars to get me by. This just happened randomly out of the blue. There was so much transmission fluid everywhere that if I had looked under the car I would have gotten fluid all over my face. Anyway I will find out in the next hour what it is, so I will update on here when I find out. I have my fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ok so I just got some really good news! It's only the cooler line that broke!
I am sooo relieved
so it's $40 + the tranny oil to fix it.
yay! >_<

1 - 20 of 28 Posts