DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having a problem with my car that has gotten worse today. I changed my rack and pinion three weeks ago and ever since then the check engine light has been on. The only codes I got was 43 and someting about the EGR valve. Now fast foward to today I am coming home from work and it stumbles and dies while I was second in line at a stop sign. I put it in neutral, and tryed to start it. Well it strated but would hang up at under 500 RPMs and the CRUSE light was on but if I took my foot off the gas it would just die. Well after about 8 tries it finnaly starts so I get it off the road and start checking spark plug wires and any other connections while it is running and everything looked fine so I get back on the road and it dies again but this time it relultently (sp) started. The the rest of the way home it keeps stumbling but when it does I would push the gas alittle more and it would come back to life. When I finaly get home I check the codes and I am getting 43, 43, 51, and 21. I know that 43 is Peak primary circuit current not achieved within maximum dwell time, 51 is Lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor, and 21 is the O2 sensors. Can the O2 sensors or the EGR valve cause this to happen? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Could, when you changed the rack, that maybe you knocked one of the 02 wires loose? Because code 21 means the the O2 sensor's are not changing value, that they are staying at center. Also look at all connections and wire's that have to do with the EGR system, something could have been knocked loose. It you didn't have a problem with it before you changed the rack, there has got to be something that got knocked off somewhere.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
With that many codes suddenly appearing after you changed your steering rack, you most likely have a problem with your wiring. Possibly the harness that goes over the right tie rod got damaged during the rack change. Just for an example, there is a Black / light blue tracer wire inside that harness that is the return path to the PCM for every sensor under the hood. This is just one place to start looking. I highly doubt that you could have that many sensors puke on you at the same time.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I did the rack I took off the upper intake. Witch the EGR valve is located. And I have checked EVERY connection. I am going to check the wireing this weekend, But for now I am stuck driving my old 1987 Camaro.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Too bad you have to be stuck in a Chevy... Haha. Instead of checking <i>every</i> connection, I would first look at the PCM module (It should be on the passenger side firewall), it is possible that you disconnected it partially. Also, pay attention to that word, "partially." As sensitive as these computer systems are, even a partial connection/disconnection can cause a major problem. It is also possible that your ground strap is disconnected, that too could make the whole electrical system go - for lack of a more scientific term - "bonkers." Good luck!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
95trep3.3 said:
When I did the rack I took off the upper intake. Witch the EGR valve is located. And I have checked EVERY connection. I am going to check the wireing this weekend, But for now I am stuck driving my old 1987 Camaro.
Did you get all new gaskets for the Upper Intake when you put it back on ? If you didn't could be a leak somewhere.

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I got a new gasket. I also checked for leaks, and there are none.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts