DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys my 97 es is slowly dying out now. i have had it alittle over a year and the trunk is leaking the trans is leaking and its just going to hell in a hand basket. its not worth it to me to put the money required into it to bring it back to full life and do all i would like to do to it looks wise.

so here is where i sit. i am looking to buy a newer intrepid. im looking at around a 99 to 01. most of the ones around here are the 2.7 engines. right now i have a 3.5 in my 97. i hear alot about a sludge problem with the 2.7s is this true and if so is it easily taken care of without drying out the gaskets and seals of the engine?

one other thing is i hate to drop down to a 2.7 if it is not going to be anywhere near as fast as my 3.5. i had thought about getting a cai and a new duel exhast for it if i did buy one. would this help matters or would it still be alot slower?

the car itself is going for $3000.00 with 87k on it.

www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=201879473&dealer_id=57855480&car_year=1999&search_type=both&make=DODGE&distance=25&model=INTRE&address=44720&certified=&advanced=&max_price=6000&bkms=1147414882450&min_price=1&end_year=2007&start_year=1981&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=25

if this link works this is the one i am looking at. i hope some of you can give some good imput about this before i change my mind and look else were for something other then this one. thanks again for your time reading my posts.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have a 2001 2.7 and it has more power than you'd think for the size engine it is. So far (about to hit 100k) it's been awesome. I only use Mobil 1. I bought mine with 15k . Don't think I'd buy a 2.7 with so many miles on it. You don't know how good the owner was at oil changes. I wouldn't touch a "98 or "99 though. They had more problems. Starting in 2000 a higher pressure oil pump was added I believe among other things.

·
9,861 Posts
I would not buy a 2.7L that old, with that many miles on it. Yes, you can do various things to fix the sludge issue. But you can't easily fix (bottom end rebuild) the damage done by an engine being ran with low oil pressure for an extended period of time.

CAI and exhaust can not make up for that much displacement difference.

What exactly is so wrong with your current car? If it's leaking fluid from the pan, get a transmission service done. They will drop the pan, replace the filter, clean the pan, apply new RTV to the pan, and fill it with new fluid. Shouldn't be more than $200, even at the dealership (which I recommend for this specific service).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well with the old car like i said it is leaking im not sure where the leak is comming from. in the trunk there was about 4 in a half inches of water in the spare tire well. not sure how that got there either. then on to the other stuff.

i bought the car for $1800 with in the first 2 months i put $2200 into it. replaced the radiator , the thermo stat , the timming chain/ belt whatever it was , waterpump, some seal down around there (that was the biggest problem) and a few other minnor things that i cant think of now.

after all this was replaced i still never had any good heat again. im lucky if i can get it luke warm. yes i know it is spring and summer right now but i live in ohio and it tends to get pretty cold in the winter and sometimes even have to kick on the heat durning summer nights here.

then we get to the looks of the car. the seats are very worn, some peaces of the inside are cracked and or very faded. the places i have called around here want about $1500 to redo the inside. i know that isnt too bad but why dump that much into a car that has double what i paid for it in it now.

then onto the out side. needs a paint job bad, front fender and hood could used to be fixed or replaced. just the paint job to get a good one and not a maco special is going to run about $1000 or more. not including the hood and fender.

so you see i have atleast another $2500 i would need to dump into a car that i really am not happy with at this point. to me it would be better off to buy a new car and start from scratch on it.

thank you both for you comments tho.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you get a newer Intrepid, please dont get a 2.7. Seems like ur car is in mechanically good condition with all those repairs. You're looking at 200 for the trans service and you can buy a new seal for the trunk. If you buy a high mileage 2nd gen, you're more than likely going to have to pump more cash into it to tune it up and fix common high mileage problems, especially with a 2.7

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a 1998 2.7 and compared to my mothers 1994 New Yorker with a 3.5 in it the 2.7 is a real pooch.
The 3.5 in the big car with burn the tires on dry pavement,the 2.7 just laughs as it slowly gets up to speed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
that bites when you buy a cheap car and than throw a bunch more money at it to fix it. I would have bought a nicer car for 4k but who knew your car would need so much work. thats life. its a done deal now. my buddy bought a 3k car and the motor puked 6 months later and he threw 3k into a new motor. maybe that was a bad idea. now he has a 3k car with a new motor. still worth 3k though. I would say spend a little more on a lower mileage vehicle. maybe find an ES if possible.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
kicker13 said:
well with the old car like i said it is leaking im not sure where the leak is comming from. in the trunk there was about 4 in a half inches of water in the spare tire well. not sure how that got there either. then on to the other stuff.

i bought the car for $1800 with in the first 2 months i put $2200 into it. replaced the radiator , the thermo stat , the timming chain/ belt whatever it was , waterpump, some seal down around there (that was the biggest problem) and a few other minnor things that i cant think of now.

after all this was replaced i still never had any good heat again. im lucky if i can get it luke warm. yes i know it is spring and summer right now but i live in ohio and it tends to get pretty cold in the winter and sometimes even have to kick on the heat durning summer nights here.

then we get to the looks of the car. the seats are very worn, some peaces of the inside are cracked and or very faded. the places i have called around here want about $1500 to redo the inside. i know that isnt too bad but why dump that much into a car that has double what i paid for it in it now.

then onto the out side. needs a paint job bad, front fender and hood could used to be fixed or replaced. just the paint job to get a good one and not a maco special is going to run about $1000 or more. not including the hood and fender.

so you see i have atleast another $2500 i would need to dump into a car that i really am not happy with at this point. to me it would be better off to buy a new car and start from scratch on it.

thank you both for you comments tho.
Where are you located in Ohio? I'm in Ohio too. As for the car, I'd say to keep the first gen and pay to get it fixed up a bit. Dad has a 98 Concorde with the 2.7, and I must say... it's decent on power but I like our 97 Intrepid with the 3.5 better. Another thing, I'd wait and look for a 5 passenger trep. I have the 6 passenger version in my 94 Concorde and my brother's 97 Trep also is a 6 passenger. Dad's Concorde is the 5 passenger and I like the center console with the floor shift better than mine. Sometime when I find a decent set of power bucket seats for my car, I'm gonna do the conversion to floor shift.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny that someone mentioned a higher pressure oil pump came about one year. After getting my last 2.7 rebuild in, I blew an oil galley plug between the engine and trans. Yea, oil went all over the place fast. I had to pull the engine again and put a real plug into there and I JB welded it in place.

Well, this was the first 2.7 I decided to put an oil pressure guage on. Heh. ONE HUNDRED THIRTY psi of oil pressure at 6000 rpm on a cold engine. Holy mamma. This was the original pump in a '98 car. Yes, I re-used the oil pump in a "new" engine. Figuring something was wrong, I dicked with the old pump, found nothing wrong, so I bought one from the dealer, installed it, and the exact same oil pressure resulted. Making 90 PSI on a warm engine is no problem on the 2.7. Rest assured, that with this much pressure, the engine components are getting plenty of oil.

This was one of my latest theories of why 2.7's go ca'put. Too much oil pressure. If you increase pressure, you increase flow. It takes the same amount of time for a lot or a little upstairs oil to make it back to the pan. With too much flow, at 6,500 RPM all the oil is kicked upstairs. Be "only" 2 quarts low on oil, 6000 RPM going up a steep hill, the oil rushes to the rear of the pan (pickup is in the front) and you can just about guess what is going to happen.

Again, just a theory. Does anyone know what the other 2nd gen engines run for oil pressure? I still say the bearing failure is from lack of oil maintenance. We all got spoiled by modern day engines' resiliance to neglect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts