DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents... Starting to do the brake lines for the Daytona... I rented a flare tool from AutoDerp and it was crap, stripped out, broken mess.

So I bought the Craftsmen set for about $60, infinitely better construction. Made a sample flare and I just wanted to put it in front of you guys and make sure it looks good. I've never done this before. I didn't reef super hard on it, just comfortably tight by hand. Look good or do I need to tighten it up a bit more? Stuck it in a hose and put a tiny turn on the nut and it locked in good, so methinks it's alright.

Attachments

·
Woober Goobers!
49,831 Posts
That looks pretty good to me but I've never had to flare any tubing.

What does the Craftsmen kit include? Got any pictures?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
looks great to me. it'll tighten down when installed.
it's good not to squish the hell out of it, then you have some give to seal with.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
wasn't sure how hard I should be cranking on it to get the form right.
just hard enough that it bottoms out, but not hard enough it becomes a workout.
i've got both sets at work(sae/metric)

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
looks good Nate, we flare at work and yours looks right. There should be no cracking or bulging to the flare. It should all be uniformly flared. Over flare and you will see what I mean. If you have any spare you should over due it just to see what overdone looks like. As mentioned above, you should not have to crank hard where your hands hurt, on the tool if it is made to flare the material you are working on. We do stainless and the tool we use has the mechanical advantage designed into it, to use on stainless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts