DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my dad were looking at my engine the other day and he mentioned something that I seriously thought about... U know how the intake manifold on the 1st gen 3.5's is that ugly gray? What if you took it off and had it chromed??!! That would look soooooo good, but I have no idea how much this would cost. I want to get the whole car looking good, and this would definately be an awesome finishing touch.

Any opinions on this? Any idea how much it would cost?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had been thinking of using a temperature resistant paint to do mine, getting the same color as my body if I could find it. Ya know chrome would look cool for sure...I bet it's not cheap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Only problem is that it is aluminum, with heat, you do not want to paint this.
Unless you are using products that can tolerate that.

If you want it to look like chrome, there are products on the market to do this. It is a time consuming process, but if you want to do it yourself, and kill a day, I will send you the product info.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
do it yourself chrome, I like it! The paint thing is interesting, but It woulndt look as good. However there are engine paints out there that would be perfect for that.

OK aggressor, post up the info!

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
Originally posted by 97purple_trep:
Me and my dad were looking at my engine the other day and he mentioned something that I seriously thought about... U know how the intake manifold on the 1st gen 3.5's is that ugly gray? What if you took it off and had it chromed??!! That would look soooooo good, but I have no idea how much this would cost. I want to get the whole car looking good, and this would definately be an awesome finishing touch.

Any opinions on this? Any idea how much it would cost?
its aluminum.. so take it off and take it to a local speed or machine shop and have it polished..

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing. But i bet chrome would cost you a arm and a leg. But one thing you can do is get some paint from any auto store. Like Pep Boys, Or Auto Zone. And they have engine paint which resists heat up to 540 Degress. And it dosent even cost that much i think 5 dollars for the spray can i hope this helps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are paint products you can buy to paint engine parts, there are mainly two degrees of heat tolerance, 500 degrees (useful for most muscle cars and high performance vehicles) and 1500 degrees, (cars with flames shooting everywhere basically) heh and you can buy these paints as spraypaints at most auto shops. I have a picture of my engine I started painting right
here
at the bottom of the page. also, I know that since the whole manifold is aluminum, you could have it polished to a chrome-esque finish. If you take the engine cover (red panel on mine) off, the areas where the cover screws into the manifold are smooth and shiny, just imagine that texture covering the whole manifold, and I beleive that's what you'd end up with.

-Dan :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am away from home, but have a catalog that has the polish for bare aluminum in it. I will post it when I get back on Saturday.

Hemi Orange.. Hell Hugger Orange, I have a 67 Camaro that color!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ooops.. Forgot to mention, it is definately a few step polish system. The time and effort is worth it, it will shine like a motherf))ker...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ooops.. Forgot to mention, it is definately a few step polish system. The time and effort is worth it, it will shine like a motherf))ker...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts