DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I've got a 98 Trep and I've been trolling the forums looking for some info on swapping my map lights out for the digital evic that you can find on the 300ms and concords and I had a couple a of questions left that I'm hoping some mod experts can help with.

Is it difficult to remove an evic from a donor car, say in a yard? I've spotted a few good ones in the pick and pull around where I live, but am wondering how I would go about taking it out and what wires I need to keep with it when I do?

Second, how does one wire the new evic in to the new car? I am not interested in the one with TPMS as I don't have the sensors, so I would like one from whatever years/configurations don't have that.

Last, what did you guys use to cut the headliner to make space for it?

any info is a big help. Thanks!

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
when I did the swap in my 2000 trep,, I used a sharp steak knife, before cutting the headliner,, hold the evic up to the headliner,, use a Pencil and outline it,, then cut,
now,, if you want to go Evic, 300m2000-01, concorde 2000-01, Jeep Grand cherokee 2000-01, now,, 2002 up,, if you find a evic in one, look at the evic itself,, if it has a copper looking thing around it,, it has TPMS, thats the antenna,, also,, save yourself a lot of time and chopping , grab the roof harness from the car your pulling the evic out of, makes it plug and play, and not to hard to install.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! That's incredibly helpful. So, just so im clear, the roof harness you're talking about connects the evic itself to..what exactly? a plug in that cars roof lining?

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
I believe that harness runs down the driver's A-pillar and plugs into the fuse-block on the drivers' side.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,443 Posts
I believe that harness runs down the driver's A-pillar and plugs into the fuse-block on the drivers' side.
That's correct. And in cars with an OTIS/EVIC that harness is combined with all the Overhead Map Light wiring. It can be separated but it's best just to get the whole harness and replace it. Takes 15 minutes max to pull the entire overhead wiring harness from a car in the junk yard.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
excellent, thanks a ton for the advice guys. i was hoping to get it all pulled with minimal hassle this weekend before the snow starts up north here. other than the harness, any other tricks to pulling from the donor car? it seems pretty easy but just want to be thorough.

·
Registered
560 Posts
A bunch of random info ...

If you've never removed one, there's one phillips head screw at the front end of it by the windshield, and two spring clips towards the back by the map lights. Take out the screw, get your fingers under it, and pull it down from the ceiling.

There is a plastic bracket that the overhead console (not sure if that's the right term for it or not) clips into. It is glued to the actual roof of the car, so be sure to grab that too. You'll need it when you go to install the console in your car.

Actually, it might be easier to take the whole headliner from the junkyard car than pull out the harness and put it in your car. The harness is glued to the headliner, and the hole is already cut. I don't know how much headliners usually cost though.

The easiest way to tell the OTIS and EVIC apart is that one has the button names next to the buttons, and the other has them on the buttons. Get the kind with the wording on the buttons (I think that's the EVIC); the screen is way nicer.

Also, if you get one from a car with a sunroof, you'll have the sunroof control buttons (three light duty momentary switches) in the overhead console too. I replaced mine with one from ebay (replaced the OTIS with an EVIC? I'm not sure if I have the names straight), and it happens to have the sunroof controls. Right now they don't do anything but I might hook them up to something someday.

Oh yeah, one more thing ... the overhead consoles for the first couple years were black, but after a few years they started making them so they match the headliner. If you want a black one, find a '98 or '99, otherwise find a newer one.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
How I can tell the difference is the EVIC has a MENU button.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yeah, but if you're scrolling through postings on ebay, it's way easier to see whether the printing is on the buttons or in front of them instead of trying to actually read them.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
There's no point in grabbing the mounting bracket, all cars already have them...

·
Banned
407 Posts
Guys, I just recently obtained one of these units, was literally about to post a thread asking if this conversion is feasible.

I however did not get the harness, just cut the wire about 9" from the unit itself. I also got the auto-dim mirror as well, same deal 9" from connector cut.

Would anyone be able to show me where I run these wires to? Going back for the harness is a no-go as it's over 100KM one way trip... lol

Been looking into the FSM but nothing really says where exactly to put the wires.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
It is my understanding that one set of wires for the OTIS/EVIC is a twisted pair - you will either need to get that twisted pair (for the right number of twists per foot) or make one - YMMV if you twist your own...

Second gen may be different, maybe it doesn't apply to OTIS/EVIC... but I thought it did...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Might be hard to see but the wires that are not wrap are my EVIC/OTIS wires.

Pink power
Black ground
Purple with a yellow stripe is the PCI data line.

I forgot what blue is, might be ignition power.
Nice pic, anyway of taking a close up of a straight shot of the connection rather then on a angle. I know it might be tough because of the door in the way but it might turn out all right.

Not sure if it would be a better view or not but sure would help me on the install.

*Or is it possible to take that whole white plug out of the fuse area and take a picture of the connections?* That would really be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice pic, anyway of taking a close up of a straight shot of the connection rather then on a angle. I know it might be tough because of the door in the way but it might turn out all right.

Not sure if it would be a better view or not but sure would help me on the install.

*Or is it possible to take that whole white plug out of the fuse area and take a picture of the connections?* That would really be much appreciated :)
Are all the wires connected into that white plug?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,443 Posts
Best thing would've been to pull an overhead harness from a car that had an OTIS/EVIC. Even if you didn't want lighted vanity visors or the Autodim rear view mirror it would've taken 15 minutes tops to pull it. The wiring harness is glued to the inside of the headliner but pulls out pretty easily.

But to answer your question.....all the overhead functions run through that connector in the junction block. Map lights, Lighted vanity mirrors, OTIS/EVIC, Autodim rear view mirror and the rear reading lights. Your car already has that connector even if you only have the overhead map lights in the headliner. It won't have the connector pins for all the other features though.

If you really didn't want all the other features besides the OTIS/EVIC...just got to the yard and pull that connector out of the junction block from a car that has the features and clip the wiring further up so you have something to splice into. Pulling the full harness gets you the OTIS/EVIC connector too though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts